Allert on non-unque topicID's

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

TimeWriter

Allert on non-unque topicID's

Unread post by TimeWriter »

Modular projects struggle with the problem of non-unique TopicID's and non-unique bitmap-filenames.

In the knowledge base I see several topics of users who have problems with HTML-help and CHM-help projects showing the wrong content. If generating unique TopicID's and/or filenames may not be the prefered way to solve this, you could help users very much if you only discover these conflicts and show them as a compiler message in the right pane.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Allert on non-unque topicID's

Unread post by Tim Green »

We're already looking into ways of doing this for the next major release. However, the problem is that doing this on large projects with lots of modules would massively (I mean really massively!) increase the time it takes to compile your projects.

We're still looking into it, but it is actually better to use ID prefixes for all projects, then you can't have this problem in the first place.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
TimeWriter

Re: Allert on non-unque topicID's

Unread post by TimeWriter »

Maybe I am seeing this much to simple...

You do have a single point where files are copied from the source location (the project directory) to the target location (the HTML directory). If you add both source and target to a list, you only have find the duplicates on the target list and you can report them.