Command line option to prevent setting files to a read-only status during a build

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

julio

Command line option to prevent setting files to a read-only status during a build

Unread post by julio »

As I explained on this post (https://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewto ... 34&t=16170), we would like to ask for a way of creating a build without locking all files in a read-only status. We are now using server machines with multiple cores and we would like to take advantage of these cores, thus decreasing the build time.
In TFS, which we use in our company, there is no need to worry about changes in files during a build process, because all files needed for a build are downloaded and used for that build without any changes. I think a new command line option would be enough for this situation.

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Command line option to prevent setting files to a read-only status during a build

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Julio,

Thanks for posting this. I can't make any promises at the moment, but it is definitely on the list for consideration. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
markusflow

Re: Command line option to prevent setting files to a read-only status during a build

Unread post by markusflow »

+1. This would be very helpful.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Looking at this now, I'm really not so sure what the problem is: There's nothing to stop you from starting multiple instances of Help+Manual to execute multiple builds at the same time. HM only needs to read the project it is publishing, and if it is stored as uncompressed HMXP it is not locked anyway. Where is the issue here? :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
markusflow

Unread post by markusflow »

Looking at this now, I'm really not so sure what the problem is: There's nothing to stop you from starting multiple instances of Help+Manual to execute multiple builds at the same time. HM only needs to read the project it is publishing, and if it is stored as uncompressed HMXP it is not locked anyway. Where is the issue here? :?
We cannot confirm this behaviour.

This is our setting (simplified):

- HMXP A
- HMXP B
- HMXP C

HMXP C is included in HMXP A and HMXP B. We cannot compile A and B at the same time.
Batch compilation fails with
# Datei "A.hmxp" kann nicht exportiert werden!
Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird
If we compile A and then B, it is working. If we copy C and include C in A and Copy-C in B, we can compile at the same time.

We solve this by doing some workaround copy jobs in our pipelines to be able to compile multiple things at a time. So this is more a "for you information" than a "feature request". Still, it would make things easier and faster if no workaround is needed.