Call from applications

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

michela cato

Call from applications

Unread post by michela cato »

Hi,
Where can I find information about how to 'call' the Help?

We are looking for 2 things:
1. When in any application (In Word, Webpage, PowerPoint etc) get support with terms.
Example:
In a bank it is possible to do a deposit. <- Deposit is a term. So if selected or rightclicked I would like to get to the Help-part where Deposit is described.

2. Describe reference to Rules or Regulations. Would it be possible to do this by adding a link for the correct place in Help+ Manual

Many thanks in advance!
Michaela
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Call from applications

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michaela,
1. When in any application (In Word, Webpage, PowerPoint etc) get support with terms.
Example:
You can't do this in an ad-hoc way like that in other applications, because you are not the programmer of Word or PowerPoint. In an application you program yourself you can create calls to the help yourself. How this is done depends on your programming system and the help format you want to call. In Word or PowerPoint you would have to create a Word document or PowerPoint presentation, and then there you would create a link to the help you are accessing. In that case the easiest way would be to use WebHelp on your web server. Then you can create a normal Internet link to the topic you want to display, like this link to Help+Manual's chapter on linking to help:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... links.html
2. Describe reference to Rules or Regulations. Would it be possible to do this by adding a link for the correct place in Help+ Manual
If the rules are on a website you would link to them with an Internet link in your Help+Manual topic:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... s_web.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.