HAT Vs KB?

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rossco

HAT Vs KB?

Unread post by Rossco »

Hi all,
one of the IT guys at the Hospital asked me a question that I had to sort of fumble the answer, as I did not really have an answer..

The question was, why am I not using a Knowledge Base Software, instead of a HAT..?

My initial uneducated response was the output options and flexibility, however I was not confident that this was the right answer, as I have never used a KB tool.

I will probably never see this person again, but what is the right answer here? anyone used any KB software tools so can compare to a HAT?

Should I have both?

cheers
Rossco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Rossco,

I'm not all that conversant with KB systems myself but I would say that a KB is a dynamic, database-based system that you can add to constantly. Rather than displaying a TOC and laid out pages your user interface consists basically of a search screen. A HAT, on the other hand, focuses on layout and user navigation.

Theoretically I suppose it would be possible to combine the two but I don't think it's been done yet... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rossco

Unread post by Rossco »

OK,
Cheers Tim

Rossco