Maintenance release: Help & Manual 5.11

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Maintenance release: Help & Manual 5.11

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

This posting is out of date. See the Announcements section for information on the latest releases of Help & Manual.
================================================================================

We are glad to announce the release of Help & Manual 5.1.1, which is a maintenance release to the recent 5.1 update.

This update implements minor changes and features, which were found and requested in the last couple of weeks and did not make it into the 5.1 release (for the major 5.1 changes, please refer to this link).

Changes and bug fixes
  • A bug in the date calculation routine terminated the calculation of the project statistic when you open a project. This affected certain dates only.
  • Print topic: when you print a single topic, protected text is no longer printed with a background. This caused protected text to be almost unreadable on b/w printers.
  • Index tool: selected keyword keeps focus when reloading the index manually
  • Webhelp: the configuration of the Webhelp publishing format now includes two new options. First, you can export topic pages without the mandatory byte order mark for UTF-8. This solves publishing problems when you run your Webhelp system through a PHP server and have no influence on the PHP options on your server.
    Second, the Webhelp output optionally modifies the archive bit of topic files by comparing their content. So instead of looking at the timestamp of the topic, you could use the archive bit to ftp-upload only files that have changed.
  • Find & replace: replacing multiple blanks dit not work
  • Version control: On the very first export to VCS the Ok button stayed grayed after selecting the VCS provider.
  • XML parser: the parsing method for bulleted lists caused certain Wingdings bullets to disappear on non-English Windows systems.
  • Small glitch in custom topic status dialog fixed
  • Save-as dialog in Impict truncated file names if the filename had it dot in it.
  • Drag & drop between projects did not work in some cases
  • Compiler report: the command "Open and explore output folder" is now implemented for PDF compiler report as well.
  • PDF export: on the printed table-of-contents page in PDF, chapters without text did not have an active link to the beginning of that chapter. This has been added. Furthermore, the underscores of links in justified text were slightly too low, when exported to PDF.
  • Online help has been updated
  • Additional change in build 750: Navigation script for Webhelp has been updated to fix a small problem with the upcoming MS Internet Explorer 8
This is a free update for all 5.x users.
Please download it from http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html
Joe Rotello

Changes to other H&M manuals ?

Unread post by Joe Rotello »

Alexander...

With the changes and updating to H&M 5.1.1_750...

and changes noted as "Online help has been updated", should any changes be also made to update any local H&M's own WinHelp, AND to the Helpman5_Manual.pdf that can be downloaded ?

Just a thought, as those two items should also reflect any on-line help changes to bring them current with any changes or improvements to 5.1.1_750 ?

Joe
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Joe,

We haven't used the obsolete WinHelp format for our own help for several years, the help is HTML Help CHM, but "online help" actually refers to the help installed locally on the user's computer together with the program, not the version on the website. The term "online help" is now actually outdated because it has become confusing -- it dates from the time before the Internet, in the days when most computers were actually terminals connected to a big mainframe. Back then "online" simply meant help that was viewed on the computer instead of a printed manual. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Robertson

Unread post by Peter Robertson »

I note that the bug that irritates me most (I hit it almost every time I use H&M) has not been addressed.

If you drag the Topic Options tab and drop it at the right side of the screen, you get a column that is too narrow to be of practical use. If you drag its left-hand border to the left to double the width of the window itself, the contents remain narrow. You have to adjust the width a second time (no matter by how small an amount) to get the window contents to adjust to the new size.

If you start by stretching the window by more than about 100%, the problem does not occur.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

This may be a quirk of the ribbon components that display the HM toolbars and windows -- as you've noted, this doesn't occur if the window is larger than a certain size when you drag the Topic Options pane. I'm afraid that the components may have been designed assuming that you are using a large, high-res monitor but even so I'm reminding the developers of this and we'll see what they say... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DickBryant

Unread post by DickBryant »

I've installed the new version but was disappointed to find that the very annoying bug discussed in my post to the H&M5 Bug Reports forum " Cursor 'Jumps' inappropriately when re-selecting " has not been addressed.

I just want to be sure that this IS on your active bug list.

Thanks,

Dick
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dick, Peter,

The problem with the width of Topic Options when docking to the margin has been fixed and will be included in the next maintenance update. I can confirm that the cursor jumping on clicking selected text has not yet been solved, it's a little more complicated than expected but that should be fixed in the next update too. I'm afraid I can't provide a time frame at the moment, however... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
K27

Is release 5.1.1 the same as 5.11

Unread post by K27 »

Was wondering if update 5.1.1 released in January is the same as release 5.11 released this week?

Thanks!

Keisha Ogbuokiri
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Keisha,

There was no new release this week, although a mail with a reminder did go out to some users. The current version of the installer is always available at http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html -- you just need to compare the build number there to the build number displayed with Help > About to check whether you have the most recent version. :)
Regards,

Private support:
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Is this sticky topic going to be updated now that 5.2 has been released? :D
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636