Cant turn off read only - related to version control?

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

laurie boone

Cant turn off read only - related to version control?

Unread post by laurie boone »

For some reason, all my hmxz files are now read only and I can't change it BECAUSE they are read only! It started with this - I merged a project yesterday and had read only problems. I gave up and just rewrote the master project to include the merged content to get around it. During that time I also had all my files checked out from the Perforce version control system. I went to check them back in, and the process failed. I decided to address that problem later, and go back to work more on my projects. But I can't because now they are all read only! I have closed out, rebooted, sacrificed an insect, and I can't get into ANY of my files. The only help on this I am finding is to remove the checkmark from the merge child project settings. Most of my read only files already have this removed. And I can't change those that do because the file is read only!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Cant turn off read only - related to version control?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laurie,

This is probably caused by your version control system, check with your system admin. If they've been set to read only on the disk you can correct this in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the file, select Properties and you should be able to reset the read-only attribute if it has not been set by another account with permissions that you don't have (if it has, that's a matter for your sysadmin).

You'll also get a lot more out of your version control system if you save your projects in uncompressed HMXP format instead of in single-file HMXZ. Then the VCS will record all changes to individual topics, instead of just one big compressed blob. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aitch

Re: Cant turn off read only - related to version control?

Unread post by Aitch »

laurie boone wrote:... sacrificed an insect....
It's probably the type of insect you sacrificed that did it. ;)
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!