ebook/pdf - Viewer does not support full SVG 1.1

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

ebook/pdf - Viewer does not support full SVG 1.1

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

If I import an SVG (created in draw.io) it outputs beautifully in HTML but struggles with ebook and pdf.

I have plenty of SVGs elsewhere andnot causing any problems. :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: ebook/pdf - Viewer does not support full SVG 1.1

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ga,

It would be helpful if you could mail us a couple of example SVGs you are having problems with. Please mail them to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).

Differences between HTML and PDF are to be expected. In normal HTML SVGs are embedded natively. In PDF they have to be rendered by a special SVG rendering engine, and there will be some restrictions.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: ebook/pdf - Viewer does not support full SVG 1.1

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Ga,

I've answered with a private email. However, it appears that SVG creation with draw.io is not the best option around.

Your small SVG example file created a whooping 23 errors when run through the W3C online validator (https://validator.w3.org/). The file also contains several <div> tags, which are part of the HTML markup, but not part of the SVG markup, so it's not even an SVG, let alone an SVG 1.1. It's no surprise that you get very different rendering results, for every SVG renderer has its own fallbacks and strategies to deal with internal errors.

We recommend a different application to create SVG images.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH