Using a skin and a style repository?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

chfrmeyer

Using a skin and a style repository?

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

So far I have managed to work with Help&Manual whithout using skins.

Now I'm trying to work my way into using skins, and there's a point that I find confusing:

The H&M-documentation (online help or PDF) recommends keeping my styles in the skin that I use. I already have a style repository where I keep my styles (which is also recommended). Is there any need to move them to a skin that I'll be using, or any advantage in doing so?

I do anticipate a disadvantage: To my understanding, a skin is only connected to my project when I publish in a HTML (CHM or web) format. I am used to seing my styles at work while editing - would I not be missing that if my styles were moved to a skin?

Or can I have both: The skin (with it's features in styling the publication) and the style repository (where I still would keep my styles)?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Using a skin and a style repository?

Unread post by Tim Green »

The H&M-documentation (online help or PDF) recommends keeping my styles in the skin that I use.
I think this is a misunderstanding. You can't keep your project styles in a skin. The skin's styles are only for the layout around the topic content. The topic content itself is formatted by a separate CSS file that is generated by Help+Manual and added to the WebHelp on publication.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
chfrmeyer

Re: Using a skin and a style repository?

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

OK, thanks for your clarification.