File links launch online version of Word

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bradley Stevens

File links launch online version of Word

Unread post by Bradley Stevens »

I've recently launched my first Help and Manual project using version 5 (soon to upgrade to version 6). There are many file links in my project that point to .doc files. When I built and tested the site, the the file links launched my local installation of MS Word and opened the .doc file there. This continues to be the case for me.

However, when my users click the file links, it launches the .doc file in an online version of MS Word in the right side pane, with the table of contents still showing on the left side of their browser window. The users are unable to print or save the .doc files as they would like to.

We need the users to have the file links launch their local Word applications instead of displaying with the online version of Word. Is there something I can do in my Help and Manual project to ensure all file links open with local installations of MS Word, rather than the online version that launches in the right-hand pane?

I have verified that all my users have MS Word installed on their machines.
Bradley Stevens

Re: File links launch online version of Word

Clarification: I am currently using Help and Manual version 5.6.0, Build 1340, Professional Edition
Bradley Stevens

After doing exhaustive research on the problem, we discovered the issue is not within Help and Manual but rather a Windows Explorer issue. Users need to have "browse in same window" disabled from their Window Explorer options. Here are the steps:

Open windows explorer
Select the Tools menu
Select Folder Options from the Tools menu
Select the File Type tab of the Folder Options dialog box
Choose "DOC - Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document" from the list
With DOC highlighted, click on the Advanced button
Ensure the Browse in Same Window checkbox is unchecked
Click OK
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bradley,

Yes, Help & Manual can't have any influence on how links are handled in IE or Windows, particularly not from the compiled help files.

By the way, your Help & Manual 5 installation is out of date. You can download the current installer here. The link for HM5 is down at the bottom of the page ("old version").
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.