link to baggage files

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kevin Mahoney

link to baggage files

Unread post by Kevin Mahoney »

Hello there Help & Manual Community !

I have some questions. I'm add some files to baggage and want to create a link to them. I'm searched the forum and found code to insert:

Code: Select all

ms-its:helpfile.chm::/filename.xxx
where helpfile.chm is my chm filename. With this code (I mean internet link to this) all works fine. But this is derect link. So it's only works fine if I do not change the .chm name after compiling. If I do that - all my links are dead.

How can add something like dynamic link which are changes If I'm renamed my .chm after compiling. Or may be create variable which are stored .chm filename. Or something else?

Sorry for bad english. Best regards.
Kevin Mahoney

Re: link to baggage files

no one didn't know ? :(
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Kevin Mahoney wrote:no one didn't know ? :(
It's Sunday.

You will probably get some replies tomorrow.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kevin,

There's no way that you can create a link which will get and use the name of the CHM file on the fly if it is changed after compiling. Also, you shouldn't change the name of a CHM after compiling anyway. Doing that will break other things as well, not just these links. For example, if you are accessing topics in CHMs from other CHMs or merging the TOCs of CHMs at runtime these functions depend on the internal files inside the CHM having the same name as the CHM file itself. If you create links between CHM files created by different projects in Help & Manual, HM also depends on the name of the CHMs matching the project names exactly, because otherwise it can't know in advance what the names of the CHM will be and the links will fail.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kevin Mahoney

Thx a lot Tim for your answer. But i'm found some .chm's (I don't know where they was created) which are not depend from .chm name. They are stored some links to files (which are compiled into chm too) and links works perfectly. I mean if I change .chm file name - they are still working and I can "download" the files. How is that possible?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Kevin,

Links to topics inside the CHM will work if you use the ms-its: protocol and the current name of the CHM and create the links explicitly. However, links created in your project to another CHM via the other project (hmxp or hmxz) will not work unless the project name and the CHM name match, because Help & Manual is creating the ms-its: reference internally. Merging the TOC of one CHM into the TOC of another at runtime will generally not work at all unless the name of the CHM and the internal files inside the CHM work..
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kevin Mahoney

Thank you Tim. Now it's completely cleared for me.

And one more question. I have some .html pages with custom background (I'm not really good in HTML/PHP but I think those settings are stored in .css files, which I have too). When I'm import them to H&M all works fine (pages and text) but background is changes to default template. How can I import background setting like in internet page to my topic?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Kevin,

HM doesn't import the background color of your pages because that is set globally by the HTML page template. It would be necessary to generate a new template for each page with a different background, and we decided not to do that in this case. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Kevin Mahoney

Thank you again Tim. I'l check this out.