Message 'Not implemented' when compiling on Citrix server

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

hstaaks

Message 'Not implemented' when compiling on Citrix server

Unread post by hstaaks »

When starting Help and Manual on a Citrix Server it's possible to edit the help. No problem.
But when I try to compile to CHM H&M says 'Not implemented'.

It seems it has something to do with the temporary folder where all the files are created before thing are being compiled by the CHM compiler, but I'm not sure.
What could this be and can be done to fix this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Message 'Not implemented' when compiling on Citrix serve

Unread post by Tim Green »

Do you have a full instance of Windows including the full Windows Desktop running in the Citrix server? If you don't quite a few things can fail because Help & Manual expects a full version of Windows with full support.

In addition to this the Microsoft CHM compiler is an ancient program and it is very picky about its environment. It doesn't like long paths, non-alphanumeric characters of any kind in paths or spaces in the CHM output file name. The Windows user account under which HM is running for the compile operation must have full write permissions for all folders involved, including both the output folder and the project folder, where the temporary folder with the CHM source files is written.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
hstaaks

Unread post by hstaaks »

Tim Green wrote:Do you have a full instance of Windows including the full Windows Desktop running in the Citrix server? If you don't quite a few things can fail because Help & Manual expects a full version of Windows with full support.

In addition to this the Microsoft CHM compiler is an ancient program and it is very picky about its environment. It doesn't like long paths, non-alphanumeric characters of any kind in paths or spaces in the CHM output file name. The Windows user account under which HM is running for the compile operation must have full write permissions for all folders involved, including both the output folder and the project folder, where the temporary folder with the CHM source files is written.
I'm using a program neighbourhood, so no full Windows Desktop. Guess that would be the problem.
So there is no other option then using a full Windows Desktop? No other workarounds? Every other thing seems to work though, only compiling seems to be the problem.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi hstaaks,

Can you post a screenshot of this message? When exactly does it occur?

My guess is that it has something to do with the missing Windows Desktop. The Microsoft CHM compiler needs to be installed and the OCXes registered to work properly. You could try to leave the temporary files undeleted (check the box in the publishing dialog) and run the "HTML Help Workshop" manually to compile it. This sometimes helps to shed some light on strange help compiler issues.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
hstaaks

Unread post by hstaaks »

It does occur immediately when I press the ok button in the 'Publish Help Project' window:
- I click 'Publish' in the ribbon in H&M main window
- The 'Publish Help Project' window starts
- I choose tab HTML help
- I click the ok button
- The 'Publish Help Project' window closes
- Immediate the message is shown 'Not implemented' with the white cross in the red circle.

So I don't see the all the 'preperations' in the seperate window on the right side of the screen I see normally occur before the real compilation starts.

To be sure I also tried it in a full windows Citrix environment and there it indeed does compile!