Can't change title bar text

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swede

Can't change title bar text

Unread post by Swede »

Hi
The title bar text in one of our published projects is incorrect and I can't fix it. The project is in Norwegian and published in chm-format. The relevant settings, as far as I understand, are:

- Configuration > Common Properties > Help Windows > General Options > Title bar text = <%TITLE%>
- Configuration > Common Properties > Title & Copyright > Help title = Hjelp ("Help" in Norwegian)

I thought <%TITLE%> would insert "Hjelp" in the title bar in the published chm file, but instead it says "HTML-hjälp" ("HTML help" in Swedish), see attached image. The corresponding projects in Swedish and English look OK. What am I missing?

In case it's relevant:
- Configuration > Common Properties > Language Settings > Language of helpfile = Norwegian

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can't change title bar text

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Swede,

What you are seeing in the title bar is actually not your text, but the title "HTML Help" courteously inserted by Microsoft without asking you. This is caused by a bug in the Microsoft HTML Help viewer -- this bug has been known for years and Microsoft clearly has no intention of fixing it. :frustration:

This happens when the language defined in your help does not match the language of the Windows version on which it is being displayed. This will even happen if you define your help language as English (United Kingdom) and the help is displayed on a US English version of Windows. The title bar will only display correctly on British editions of Windows, where the language of the Windows version exactly matches the language defined in your CHM file (Britsh English). On all other versions of Windows you will see "HTML Help". This is what is happening in your case.

The only way to fix this is to change your language setting to English (USA) -- for some strange reason this turns the bug off. But this only works for Western European languages -- you shouldn't do it for other languages with special character sets. You can try it for Norwegian and Swedish, but it might cause problems with the sorting of the index and possibly also in the Search tab. There is no other solution, unfortunately, it's a Microsoft problem and it doesn't look as though it's going to be fixed.

However, all your users who have a Norwegian version of Windows will see the correct title bar text.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Re: Can't change title bar text

Unread post by Swede »

OK. Users of the Norwegian help will most probably use a Norwegian version of Windows, so it won't be a problem.
Thanks!