Creating Captions improvements

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Creating Captions improvements

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

I do a LOT of step by step documentation, still necessary for a decent PDF (yes, I own HelpXplain :-).

Usually they have a structure of (a list of) explanator text followed by a reference to the explanatory screenshot followed by the screenshot itself...and that repeats for several steps

I would like to see the following improvements:

1. Be able to have a default style for the 'Insert caption' action and not to have to modify the default Image Caption style. A project wide setting is fine.
2. Be able (similar to chapter cross references) to create the reference to the image by d&d the caption to any place on the same page.

Makes sense?

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Creating Captions improvements

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:20 pm 1. Be able to have a default style for the 'Insert caption' action and not to have to modify the default Image Caption style. A project wide setting is fine.

Um....but that is precisely what the Image Caption style is for. How do you imagine achieving this if not with a style? And that style already exists... :? And if you want something more complex you can create a pre-formatted caption object with placeholder text and save it as a snippet. Then insert it with the snippet tool whenever you need it.
2. Be able (similar to chapter cross references) to create the reference to the image by d&d the caption to any place on the same page.
Captions are not links, they are captions, i.e. they must be directly under the item they reference. That is the definition of what they are. You can already achieve what you want with links and anchors: Put an anchor in the location you want to refer to, then create a same-page link to it wherever you want. Here too, if you are referring to the same item multiple times you can copy and paste.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Re: Creating Captions improvements

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Tim,

thanks for the answer, I'm sure I must be missing something (and after explanation this topic can be moved away from the whish list)

Following general advice in the manual I subclassed Image Caption to say 'Gerold Caption'. Are you saying I shouldn't have done that and edit it directly?

Honestly I couldn't care less if captions are links or not. I do millions of
2024-01-15_17-04-10.jpg
So what I do
  • Create text for the following screenshot
  • Leave room for the reference to the image
  • Insert the image
  • Create the caption
  • Apply style to caption
  • Remember caption id
  • Return to the room for the reference
  • Insert caption, change to current topic, find remembered caption id, insert
Do this a dozen times and you need some white powder in your nose :wink:

What I would like to do is drastically shorten the last step by dragging the caption to the room for reference and voila the reference is there (with HMFIGURE et al).

I'm totally unsure on how your advices with snippet and links would help here, but I will try ....

Thanks,

Gerold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.