Saved space possible?

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sbendel

Saved space possible?

Unread post by sbendel »

Dear all,

Sorry, my english is not the best, I am a german.

Is it possible to use a "protected space" and/or a "protected Hyphen" who a name, title, or so, holds together?

For example:

"Siegfried Bendel" or "Siegfried-Bendel" shold not be separated by a paragraph, like this.

ljlkj lkjlkj lkjlkj lkjlkj lkjlk jlkjlkj lkjlkj lkjlk jlkj Siegfried-
Bendel.

It shold be like this

ljk kjhkjh kjhkj hkjhkj hkjhk jhkjhk kjhk jhkjh
Siegfried Bendel or like Siegfried-Bendel

Thank you
Best greetings
S.Bendel
Mit freundlichem Gruß
S.Bendel
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hello Siegfried,

The non-breaking space can be typed using the sequence alt+0160. This works in the H&M editor, but I haven't tried compiling it to any of the output formats yet. It should not be a problem with the html-based formats, since there is a non-breaking space code in html. (Let me know how it works.)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a key sequence that would insert a non-breaking hyphen. I'm sure there must be one because MS Word will allow you to insert one, but none of my tools would show an alt-key sequence. Hopefully someone else will know.

Good luck,
Dean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dean, Siegfried,

Non-breaking spaces will work as Dean stated. However, there is no solution for the non-breaking hyphen problem in HTML because the HTML standard is still in a state of confusion on this issue. Even though there are some solutions they are handled differently by all browsers. The short answer is you can't have non-breaking hyphens in HTML. For the beginnings of a long answer, have a look at this article:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.