Automatic updating of projects

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

Suzette Seveny

Automatic updating of projects

Unread post by Suzette Seveny »

Is there a way that we can set up our web based projects to give users the option to automatically connect with a server and update their content?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Automatic updating of projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Suzette,

There's no need for the users to do this if you are publishing your help on a web server, that's the advantage of using the web. You update it on your server and the next time the users access it they see the new content. You can even do this with CHM files to a certain extent, by including web pages as topics for data that changes frequently. This will only work if the computer that the CHM is being viewed on has an Internet connection, but it's a nice feature for things that you want to keep up to date within the help without having to regularly deliver new versions of the CHM.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Suzette Seveny

Unread post by Suzette Seveny »

Oh how I wish that could be! Unfortunately, our web resides on our client's local server. I was thinking of something like a "push" service. Our clients are financial institutions, and security is pretty tight.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Suzette,

I see the problem. Unfortunately, the only way to update the content would be to have access to their web server, because you need to physically update the files on it to make changes as long as it is hosted there. It would be possible to automate that between your server and theirs, but that is something that the system administrators of both servers would have to collaborate on. That is all server-side, where Help & Manual is powerless. The only alternative would be to talk them into having it hosted on your server, possibly with a redirect from their local site, but with that kind of security it doesn't sound as though that would be an option in this case... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.