quick search on cobined words

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

Frans Van Antenhove

quick search on cobined words

Unread post by Frans Van Antenhove »

Hello,

i have a slight problem with quick search in ebooks (suppose it's the same in webhelp). Some field-labels have 2 or more words, like "Gebruikt op" (note translated "Used by").
I want to look this up as a whole and not 2 separate words.
I tried putting the words between double quotes, which give a better result (less found topics) but still the words are higlighted separately.

there is a "Enable exact phrase search" checkbox in Full text search config but it is gray and unselectable

frans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: quick search on cobined words

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Frans,
there is a "Enable exact phrase search" checkbox in Full text search config but it is gray and unselectable
You can enable this if you select PHP or ASP as the search platform. Doing this requires that you have PHP or ASP support on your web server, because it works on the server.

Almost all servers except some Windows-based servers will have PHP, and that is the preferable option. ASP is for Windows-based web servers only. Try it with PHP first; that will almost always work.

Important: You can't test PHP and ASP search locally on your own computer, you will just see errors and source code if you try. You need to upload it to the full web server for it to work. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Frans Van Antenhove

Unread post by Frans Van Antenhove »

Tim,

txs for the quick response.

we use ebook as help format on MS servers. Is it ok to check the ASP box and can it run localy because it is an executable?

Frans
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Frans Van Antenhove wrote:we use ebook as help format on MS servers. Is it ok to check the ASP box and can it run localy because it is an executable?
You can't use ASP or PHP in the EWriter eBook format because everything is self-contained -- the server is built in. There is no access to an external web server, which you would need for ASP or PHP. In EWriter you can only use the JavaScript search platform.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.