Keywords and Embedding

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

Sean Godley

Keywords and Embedding

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi all,

I am having a problem with keywords when I embed manuals. The company I work for sell bundles, which means that I am writing manuals that contain more than one manual to be used when customers purchase a bundle package. In order to save time I am embedding several manuals in one help and manual project. Everything is working fine except for one thing - the keywords. I had expected the keywords to update automatically in the new manual and that it would feature the keywords from all embedded manuals, but this does not seem the be the case. Instead, only the keywords from one of the manuals are present. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a way to fix this problem? Any help hugely appreciated.

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Keywords and Embedding

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

What version of Help+Manual are you using? You can check your current version with Help > About Help+Manual. We need to move this thread to the appropriate section, because Help Community is definitely the wrong place for it.

Normally, keywords are always included when you combine manuals. To answer your technical question we need a little more information: What help format are you using? Is it CHM? And if it is, how are you doing your merging? Are you combining everything into one large file when you publish, or are you using runtime merging and putting the individual CHM files together in a single folder and having them display in the master CHM's TOC when it is opened?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Hi Tim and thanks for the fast response.

I am using Help and Manual Version 7.0.0 Build 3791. I am publishing in Webhelp, as opposed to CHM. I am combining all manuals into one folder before publishing. As mentioned, only the keywords for one of the manuals appear in the final result.

Thanks again,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

The version of Help+Manual you are using is badly out of date with numerous early release bugs that have now been corrected in the current stable version. Please update right away to version 7.1.0 Build 3925 by downloading the installer here and installing on top of your current copy:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

This won't change any of your settings etc.

If you continue to experience this problem we need to look at a sample project to see what is going on. Please send the master project and one of the child projects where the keywords are not coming in to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you. Save the projects in compressed, single-file .hmxz format for mailing; then you only need to send the two compact .hmxz files. You can do this by selecting Save As.. in the File menu and choosing the single-file compressed format (first option) to save in.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Hi Tim and thanks very much for the help. I updated to the most recent version and those problems have now been fixed. You're a star!

Sean