The Demise of RoboHelp?

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

mehrenst

The Demise of RoboHelp?

Unread post by mehrenst »

Not sure if this is the right place for this but anyway, here it is...

>> Joe Welinske, President of WritersUA, claimed today in the Conference
for User Assistance opening session that RoboHelp will likely no
longer be "in common use" within 2 years.

Welinske claimed that the product has been "sunset" by Macromedia,
that there are no members of the RoboHelp team left on staff
(including no one to staff the paid-for vendor booth at the
conference), and that it is "highly likely" that no further
development will take place.<<

This was posted yesterday on the Yahoo HATT group where its raised a lot of comment. RH did not have a booth at the WritersUA show. A new company has appeared on the scene touting an XML based product. Supposedly it includes many of the old RH core members.

I continue to use H&M along side of RH.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I saw this too. As far as I can see the top developers of RoboHelp have left Macromedia and formed their own company. They are developing a new product called "Flair", that appears to be XML and MAML based.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mike Hodge

Demise of Robohelp

Unread post by Mike Hodge »

I find this very interesting?? I identified a bug in their backend FTP program. The fix for them appeared to be a relatively easy script changes. They refused to do this...
We are heavily dependent upon this program for its ease of use and FTP capabilities.
I would like to hear more from users of H&M regarding how the help files are ftp'd and anymore info regarding Macromedia's support of this product.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I have only to support my own private web site and the web site of the school of my elder daughter.

I use MS IE to FTP the files to the web site. I type ftp://... and get a dialog with user name and password. Then I use drag and drop with the Windows explorer to transfer the files. Also MS IE allows to do most of the FTP commands (delete, rename, make dir ...) with the same graphical UI as usual.
Waldemar
Tim Green
Site Admin

I use Total Commander (formerly known as Windows Commander) for all my ftp and file management needs. It's the first program I ever install whenever I set up a new Windows computer. It has all the file manipulation functions you ever wanted (and many you never realized you needed) and more. More information here:

http://www.ghisler.com/

Use it once and never use Windows Explorer again. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mehrenst

Tim Green wrote:I use Total Commander (formerly known as Windows Commander) for all my ftp and file management needs. It's the first program I ever install whenever I set up a new Windows computer. It has all the file manipulation functions you ever wanted (and many you never realized you needed) and more. More information here:

http://www.ghisler.com/

Use it once and never use Windows Explorer again. 8)
I was quite an advocate of WS_FTP for a long time but now use CuteFTP Pro. Can't say as I remember why I changed but CuteFTP (in the Pro version) has more handles and capability than I every use. And, it seems to be bulletproof.
Tim Green
Site Admin

PS: Note that FTP is just one of Total Commander's many capabilities. It is actually a complete file manager -- similar to the old Norton Commander but very very much better and more powerful. Highly recommended.
Regards,

Private support:
Morten Lyng

Unread post by Morten Lyng »

More info on the RoboHelp --> Flare here:

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles ... 8_05a.html
mehrenst

mlyng wrote:More info on the RoboHelp --> Flare here:

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles ... 8_05a.html
Nothing new here... Nothing new on their website either. :? Seems strange not to have more info available if they are doing beta-test releases right now. No price info either. :cry: