mixed page sizes in pdf

This is the place to share H&M templates and utilities with other users. Topic templates can be posted as text attachments (*.txt) or in the posting itself between

Code: Select all

and 
tags. Print manual templates (*.mnl) are digital and can only be posted as attachments. Utilities and multiple files can be posted in ZIP archives. Please include plenty of comments so that users understand what you're doing! Registration is required to access this forum.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

simon harris

mixed page sizes in pdf

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim and Alexander,

I have PDF output that requires A3 pages for schematic and mechanical assembly drawings etc. Is it possible to have multiple page sizes in a single PDF template? If not, do you have a suggested or recommended approach to achieving a single PDF manual [preferably] that has content in both A4 and A3 page sizes?

Also, for CAD DWG / DWF files, what might be the best way of getting them into my H&M projects?

Thanks kindly and all the best,
Simon
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: mixed page sizes in pdf

Unread post by Tim Green »

simon harris wrote:Is it possible to have multiple page sizes in a single PDF template?

No, and this isn't something that is going to be available, at least not in the short term. The next major version of Help+Manual will allow you to mix portrait and landscape pages, but the same paper size throughout will be an absolute requirement there as well.
If not, do you have a suggested or recommended approach to achieving a single PDF manual [preferably] that has content in both A4 and A3 page sizes?
The only suggestion I can make there is multiple PDFs, with file links to the larger ones. Unfortunately, the PDF format is still really bad at handling links and once a user follows a link to another file there is no way back to the original file. Frankly, PDF is still the worst format in the world for interactive content. It should only be used for printing (it is really just raw printer output in a file, displayed with a printer driver that prints to the screen instead of to paper) or for users who want to read something from beginning to end sequentially. If you want interactivity, use WebHelp.
Also, for CAD DWG / DWF files, what might be the best way of getting them into my H&M projects?
The best option would be SVG, if you can convert them to that, as that is now natively supported in Help+Manual 7. Otherwise I would suggest screenshots, and then insert them as normal bitmap graphics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

If you only have a very few A3 pages to handle, it is possible (but perhaps not convenient) to devise a postprocess batch file using something like PDFtk which could for example insert page 3 of PDF2 after page 13 of PDF1, and so on. Only a thought - I realise that it may not be practical for your situation.
simon harris

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim and Tim,

Thanks for the replies (been off sick last cuppla days). I guessed as much, and am unfortunately stuck with PDF - it can be tricky pulling people away from the idea of a physical page, even if only to be reproduced on screen. Some manuals have 100s of A3, so there is no option but to have separate projects to cover them. Thanks again.

All the best,
Simon
All the best,
Simon