Help topic ID utility

This is the place to share H&M templates and utilities with other users. Topic templates can be posted as text attachments (*.txt) or in the posting itself between

Code: Select all

and 
tags. Print manual templates (*.mnl) are digital and can only be posted as attachments. Utilities and multiple files can be posted in ZIP archives. Please include plenty of comments so that users understand what you're doing! Registration is required to access this forum.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MichaelM05301

Help topic ID utility

Unread post by MichaelM05301 »

Hello,

Does anyone know of a utility that can capture help topic requests to display the topic ID for the topic that an application is requesting?

Thanks,
Mike
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Mike, please tell us more. What help format? How is the request arriving?
MichaelM05301

Unread post by MichaelM05301 »

Windows chm format. Normally I know the topic ID's because I have them in my code. But for some apps which the source code is not available it would be nice to know which ID is being passed to hh.exe when a Help button of F1 key is pressed. This way I know what ID to use when creating the topic.

Basically I am looking for a utility that would intercept the help request and display the ID of the topic that was being requested.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Michael, here's how to display the Help call in a message box:
1. Download the free utilities from http://www.paulsadowski.com/WSH/cmdprogs.htm
2. Extract Msgbox.exe to your program folder
3. Rename it HH.exe
4. Launch your application and press F1
5. The calling parameters to HH.exe should display in a message box.
Pete Lees
MS MVP (currently on leave)

Unread post by Pete Lees »

Hi,

You can also monitor API calls to a .chm file with the View > HTML Help Messages facility in HTML Help Workshop.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

Pete