Kind of a survey...

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mehrenst

Kind of a survey...

Unread post by mehrenst »

:?: In your opinion, what is the best tool for obtaining a quality image reduction/resize?

Impict does pretty good for me when I use the Quality Resize approach but...

I really hate the idea of taking a screen shot (I use SnagIt), rezising it in Photoshop or PaintShop Pro and then opening it in Impict and doing the rest of the work there (because I like the callout boxes). The problem is, I've gotten a request to revise a previously created printed document and, at the same time, see if the quality of the size reduced screen shots and be improved. (Generally they are 50% reduction based on the image width.)
Dennis Delaney

Unread post by Dennis Delaney »

The actual resizing algorithms used by Impict are really good. At least subjectively I don't think I get better results with PaintShop Pro or Photoshop, although I haven't done any objective tests. However, color reduction is another question. When I make High Color screenshots of Windows XP screens and want to reduce them to 256 colors I still use PaintShop Pro -- it has a highly configurable color reduction module that you can tweak to produce better results depending on the image you are working with. Impict will sometimes produce good colors, but since you can't adjust the color reduction what you get is what you get.
Cheers,
Dennis