.IPP Versus Raster Format While Editing Image

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kevin Burke

.IPP Versus Raster Format While Editing Image

Unread post by Kevin Burke »

Hello Impict Forum,

Using Impict version 2.0 andh HM4.0.3 build 715
Impict is a very quick and handy image markup tool, perfect for what I'm doing.

However, I'm confused about file types to use with Impict. I edit in the .ipp format, and then "save as" a raster copy to reload and view it in my HM project -- all OK to this point.

But now my Impict project is in the raster format, and it is still editable, which surprises me. So, if I'm not paying attention and continue to edit it in the raster format, and close it in the raster format, then the new edits are not in the .ipp file. The raster is now a normal raster image, uneditable, and the recent changes are lost.

I am used to the PaintShopPro "save copy as" function, so my image stays in the working/project format, and I pump out a raster version whenever desired.
Maybe I'm missing something simple here .... . it's happened before, that's for sure!

Thanks for any advice,
Cheers,
Kevin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Kevin,

This is just a question of "You need to remember what you're doing". If you make additional edits you must re-save as .IPP if you want to keep your layers intact. I agree that a "Save copy as" function would be very useful -- you might want to add a request to the Wish List section.

By the way: Remember that .IPP images are always True Color by default. So when you save screenshots you should always save as 256 colors, that will significantly reduce your output file size. If the save works OK in Impict that's good (it doesn't have a highly-adjustable color reduction algorithm, that's on the Wish List), otherwise use Paint Shop Pro to reduce the colors without shifts.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.