Callouts in Impicit

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

cogent

Callouts in Impicit

Unread post by cogent »

I am trying to use callout with multiple pointers. How do I do this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cogent,

You can only have one pointer per callout in Impict, the idea is that it's like a cartoon speech bubble.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jamesp

Unread post by jamesp »

I usually use the callout with its bubble pointer pointing to the main point of interest being referred to in the bubble, and then add extra line-arrows pointing to other areas that the text in the bubble is referring to.

Alternatively I reduce the size of the bubble pointer to zero length, and then add just line-arrows pointing at the various parts of the diagram/screenshot. After adding/positioning the arrows, I then bring the bubble to the front, so the line-arrows are behind it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesp

Unread post by jamesp »

or like this.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rossco

Re: Callouts in Impicit

Unread post by Rossco »

cogent wrote:I am trying to use callout with multiple pointers. How do I do this?
Hi Cogent,
not sure whether I am on the right track here, but you could lay different positioned callouts (rotated, flipped, mirrored etc) on top of each other then merge the whole image as one..

So long as each callout was the same size, and either square or round, then you would have multiple arrows/pointers on one callout.

Not sure whether you will be able to achieve this in Impict, but if you take the original into another graphics app ( I use Fireworks for web stuff) and complete this task in there.

Or, if you have a graphics app, like Fireworks or Photoshop etc, you could create your own from scratch :)

hope that helps

Rossco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Rossco,
not sure whether I am on the right track here, but you could lay different positioned callouts (rotated, flipped, mirrored etc) on top of each other then merge the whole image as one..
This is possible but you will have to do some additional editing outside of Impict. The problems are the shadow and the "join" between the pointer and the callout. You will need to delete the outline of the callout for the additional pointers to make them join smoothly and the additional ones must be produced without shadows.

For quick use it's much easier to use callouts without pointers and add arrows, as James has demonstrated above -- that's what I do. :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

James,
jamesp wrote:or like this.....
Please always use GIFs for uploaded screenshots, they compress much better than JPGs. I've converted these but the results will not be as good as making the GIFs directly because the lossy JPG compression had already made the images fuzzy, which means that they recompress much less well. That's why the converted images don't look quite so good, I had to reduce the colors in the pallette to 100 to get better compression because of the fuzzy JPG artefacts. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rossco

Unread post by Rossco »

Good points...

...cheers Tim

Rossco