Strange Impict behaviour since installing H&M5

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MeganC

Strange Impict behaviour since installing H&M5

Unread post by MeganC »

I recently downloaded the trial version of H&M5, and since then I have been experiencing a very annoying behaviour in Impict. Whenever I take a screenshot using the camera icon in Impict, Impict drops down on the screen, so that the top bar is about 1/4 way down the screen, the bottom is cut off and it can't be moved up. It is maximised in this position, and even if I hit the restore button, move it up to the top of the screen and maximise it again, it drops back down again. I also use two monitors, and if I have Impict open on the second monitor it will always jump over to the primary monitor at the same time.

This is very annoying, as every time I take a screenshot from within Impict I have to close it and reopen it again to get my whole image on the screen again. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of problem, or have any idea if there's a fix?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Megan,

Impict jumping to the primary monitor on dual-monitor setups is normal, on many dual-monitor systems you can only capture reliably on the primary monitor. I can't reproduce the issue with Impict's window resizing on a dual-monitor machine, however. One possibility that occurs to me is that it might have something to do with having an outdated version of Help & Manual 4 installed. The current build is 1380 and you can download it here (just install on top of your current version to update):

http://download.ec-software.com/hm4setup.exe
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
MeganC

Unread post by MeganC »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Tim. I tried installing the current build of H&M4 but nothing has changed. I don't recall Impict ever jumping onto my primary monitor before, this has only happened since I started using H&M5. That part I can live with, though, it's no problem to move it back to where I want it - but the dropping down the screen part is getting really annoying and slows me down quite a lot, as I have to close Impict and reopen it every time this happens. It does not actually resize - it just jumps down the screen, still maximised, but with the bottom cut off.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Megan,

OK, now I've got it: The issue is that you are starting with Impict maximized -- since I never work with maximized windows (advantage of having two 24" monitors...) I wasn't seeing it. This will be fixed as soon as possible.

For the time being the workaround is to start with Impict not maximized. You can resize it as large as you like, just don't have it maximized when you make a screenshot.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
MeganC

Unread post by MeganC »

Thanks Tim, that worked! You're a legend!