Impic 2.4 Crop button where?

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

clarion

Impic 2.4 Crop button where?

Unread post by clarion »

Hi,

I cant find "the most used function of all picture editors when writing manuals: crop" button :)

I can use Snagit, Adobe, but shurely theres got to be a crop button in ImPic ??

Cheers
Tor-Bjarne
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tor,

Impict doesn't have a direct Crop function but you can achieve the same result with the Lens object:
  1. Select the lens object and select the area you want to crop -- absolute origin must be OFF.
  2. Select Object > Flatten object > Repaint on current background and turn transparent background OFF.
  3. Click on the background image and select Delete, then click on Auto-Resize in the toolbar. Now your image is cropped. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Not what I'd call intuitive, Tim :-)

Anything wrong with:
1. drag a marquee (resize to taste)
2. click Crop

like most other image editors?
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Tim Green
Site Admin

John,

I know, I know -- Impict is getting long in the tooth and it shows. Even with its warts, however, it's still a very efficient little tool for quick manipulation of screenshots once you get used to its quirks. As soon as the major work on HM5 is finished there are plans to create a new application that will merge the capabilities of Impict and TNT.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
wpostma

Unread post by wpostma »

WOW.

Impict has a "CROPPING PROCEDURE" instead of a button.

Every other tool on the planet has a one-click cropping button, but here, you select
a Lens, use a non-standard nomenclature to select it. This is an epic level of accidental complexity in user interface design. What does the zoom icon in the toolbar have to do with cropping? Oh, it's a secondary way of creating a region, which you can then allow to become the entire picture. Wow. I am speechless. Okay, I'm not, because I'm writing this post, but hey, I'm shocked.

Impict is limited in usefulness because of this one glaring omission. I hope for everyone's sake that it will get a crop button before a wholesale redesign is started.
What I like about Impict is the ability to add the little markups that I would commonly need. But the lack of a one button cropping tool is glaring. Rather than a complete redesign, just adding one button to this program to do a quick crop would really improve my life at this point.

Warren
DeWayne Rosene

Re: Impic 2.4 Crop button where?

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

While the subject of cropping... I am considering an upgrade from H&M 4 to 6. It appears that neither Impic or TNT have changed much, if at all. I have recently been evaluating snagit as well for screen captures and find that its ability to Crop-out or in its terminology cut-out a horizontal or vertical portion of a screen capture is invaluable when it comes to reducing the height or width of screen shots which often have a lot of white space between info in the one half and the other half of a screen or dialog. Any information if or when either Impic or TNT might have a similar feature? The alternative is to include the cost of an alternative screen capture tool in my budget.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi DeWayne,

In the long term we plan to merge Impict and TNT in an upgraded, combined version. I can't provide a time frame for this at the moment, however. Sorry about that... :?
Regards,

Private support:
mcgraf

Unread post by mcgraf »

I just bring my image to the front if there are other objects and use the "select area to copy" button.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Tim wrote: " As soon as the major work on HM5 is finished there are plans to create a new application that will merge the capabilities of Impict and TNT."

Tim, is this happening?