Save as JPEG

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

AndyBell

Save as JPEG

Unread post by AndyBell »

When I try to save as JPEG, no matter what compression setting I set, it always saves as ultra low quality. Currently, I have to save as BMP and convert the image to JPEG in another package.

Also, if I've done a smart resize and then try to save as JPEG it tries to save it at the original size, which makes it even worse.

Also, I get regular non fatal access violation messages on opening new images.

I get them in help and manual too.

Andy Bell
www.profotosoftware.com
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Andy: I just tested all those functions in both 3.25 and 3.30 to make absolutely sure and they're all working fine. Even if I quality resize a picture without auto-adjusting the canvas it just gets saved properly together with the empty white space around the canvas.

It sounds like there is something very wrong either with your H&M/Impict installation or your computer setup. Did you get the installation files directly from the EC-Software download site? (There are some defective versions circulating on the web.)

Also, what version of Windows are you using and are you experiencing problems with any other programs? It could even be a hardware problem... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
AndyBell

Impict errors

Tim

>It sounds like there is something very wrong either with your H&M/Impict installation or >your computer setup. Did you get the installation files directly from the EC-Software >download site? (There are some defective versions circulating on the web.)

Purchased and downloaded from your site

>Also, what version of Windows are you using and are you experiencing problems with >any other programs? It could even be a hardware problem...

Windows XP. I've not got problems of this kind with any other software.

I've tried installing it on my PC at work (as an experiment) and I get the same problems. It's a Windows NT SP6 machine. In fact, it's worse on the NT box - when I do a Save As I don't get any options for any image file formats and the JPEG saves at very low quality.

I think this rules out hardware issues.

I have now downloaded the latest version from the H&M site, installed it and get exactly the same issues. I get the same issues on two separate PC's - I find it hard to believe this can be a fault with the installation.

I do have Borland C++ Builder V5 professional installed on both PC's but I would doubt that could cause this.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hmm...this is all very odd, particularly that you are experiencing this on multiple machines with both downloads -- these are problems I have never heard about before and cannot reproduce on any of my four test machines.

Apart from Borland C++ Builder, is there any other common factor between the two computers you tested on that you can think of? Anything intentionally left out during the OS installation, for example, an unusual graphics card or other hardware or anything like that? If possible, it might be helpful to try installing the program on a "plain vanilla" consumer computer if a friend has one. If the problem still occurs then there is something wrong with the distribution files.

If the download files you are getting are not getting corrupted somehow it must be some interaction with something on both machines, the difficult question is what... :roll:

I also suggest sending copies of your questions to EC-Software directly (the forums are a private site and I'm just another H&M user) at support@ec-software.com
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
AndyBell

Errors

There's nothing omited from the machine's installations. They use different graphics cards but they're just very standard ordinary PC's.

I suspect that the software is using the built in Windows dialogs for the Save as... functions, with some extra bits added... The problem with that is that different Windows versions may have different common controls and testing for them all is very hard.

I can try it on a Win 98se machine that my son uses and then I'll let the support team know.
AndyBell

All's well now

The latest version of Help and manual has resolved this, which convinces me that the file I had installed had somehow become corrupted.
Tim Green
Site Admin

OK - glad to hear it's working now! :D
Regards,

Private support: