Alternative for Paint Shop Pro?

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexander Hompe

Alternative for Paint Shop Pro?

Unread post by Alexander Hompe »

I used to use Paint Shop Pro 5 for screenshots. I'm very happy with the color reduction feature. Within seconds I get excellent 256 color PNG files.

When switching from MS XP to Vista I guess PSP5 will not run. Even it would - maybe it's time for an update. I know that Tim recommends Paint Shop Pro to anybody but when I look at the current X2 edition it seems that PSP is made for photo editing in the first line.

Certainly it does color reduction as well as my old PSP5 does but I'm afraid it's a bit overcrowded now for my needs. Even with the version 5 I didn't use 10% of the given functions.

I need a software for easy but all-embracing screenshot and web graphics editing including alphachannel transparency etc. - but not for photo editing.
Maybe anybody knows alternative programs? (up to 100 Euro)

With Impict the color reduction does not work properly, unfortenately.

Thanks,
Alex
Help & Manual 6 Professional Edition
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Hi Alexander,

There are lots of screen capture apps out there with varying feature sets. It's a matter of seeing which UI and feature set appeals to you the most.

I use SnagIt for all my screenshots
http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Alexander Hompe

Thank you John,

I had heard of SnagIt but I thought this is only a screenshot grabber as well as the most screenshot tools are but no complete editor especially with a good color reduction and possibility to add text bubbles, shadows etc. I will have a look on it.
(Again: Impict is a nice program for screenshot editing which gives geat looking results but the big mistake is the faulty color reduction. Maybe this will be improved some day ...)

Regards,
Alex
Help & Manual 6 Professional Edition
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Alexander Hompe

Pixelformer

In case there is anybody who is looking for a program only for color reduction and small PNG files - here I've found a very interesting one:
http://www.qualibyte.com/pixelformer/
It is (still?) free of charge.

My tests brought very good results with PNG option 'Multipass optimization'.

There are a vew nice editing features as well and it is fast and easy to use.

Regards,
Alex
Roy Henry

Unread post by Roy Henry »

There's a review of seven screen print software packages, including one free tool, at http://winwriters.com/articles/capturetools/index.html. TNT is also reviewed there.