You do not have the required permissions to ....

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Winsteps

You do not have the required permissions to ....

Unread post by Winsteps »

HM folks: please document somewhere that the "You do not have the required permissions to ..." message means "Please login to ...."

Or, even better, reword the message 8)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: You do not have the required permissions to ....

Unread post by Tim Green »

Please address all requests of this type to the phpBB forum software programmers at: http://www.phpbb.com 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Where/when are you seeing this message?
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Thank you, Tim.

John, log out and then look at http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 424#p46674
The message appears below "Clip1.jpg "
John Waller

Thanks winsteps, I see it.

@Tim: there's a quickfix if you edit the hard-coded message in /language/en/viewtopic.php (line 54 in default install).

'DOWNLOAD_NOTICE' => 'You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.',

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2078535
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,
John Waller wrote:@Tim: there's a quickfix if you edit the hard-coded message in /language/en/viewtopic.php (line 54 in default install).
I know, and I've now added "This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them." to the original text. The problem is, it will disappear again the next time phpBB is updated. In the earlier PHPBB version I made a lot of edits and changes like this, along with a lot of modifications to the software. This made every update a nightmare that often took many hours to perform, so I've decided not to do it any more. If changes need to be made to the phpBB messages they should be made at source or not at all. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Waller

Tim Green wrote:The problem is, it will disappear again the next time phpBB is updated.
Yes, everyone running phpBB faces the same issue.

However, sometimes you're lucky if the updated files don't include the one you've modified.
Tim Green wrote:This made every update a nightmare that often took many hours to perform, so I've decided not to do it any more. If changes need to be made to the phpBB messages they should be made at source or not at all.
Fair point.

It's just a shame when simple, misleading or incomplete forum messages affect end users, often causing much headscratching, such as the one reported in this thread by winsteps.
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Phil C

Unread post by Phil C »

I was trying to decide if it was worth my while to install 6.2 beta. (I don't use or need a VCS) I thought perhaps reading the posts in that forum section would aid my decision but, all I see is:
"You do not have the required permissions to ..."

If I don't have "the required permissions" why email me a link to that forum section?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Phil,

There may have been a permissions glitch on the new forum. I've recopied the settings from the standard HM6 forum so it should now be accessible in the same way. :)
Regards,

Private support: