Display issues in Firefox

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Display issues in Firefox

Unread post by Tim Green »

If you browse the forum with the new Firefox 1.0 browser you may notice a couple of small display problems. I've been analyzing the HTML code thoroughly over the last couple of days and it seems to be being caused by bugs in Firefox, although I can't absolutely swear to it. So far I've found the following issues:

Resizing the forum portal window:

If you try to resize the portal window in Firefox you will sometimes experience that the second and third columns cannot be made narrower. However if you click on one of the View Thread in Forum links in the Announcements section and then return to the portal page by clicking the Back button in Firefox, you will find that the columns adjust correctly when you resize the window. Clicking any combination of the Back and Forward buttons in Firefox to return to the current page also corrects these display problems.

As an added twist, if you click on the Reload button in Firefox on the portal page you will get some very strange display problems when you try to resize the window and make it narrower.

This problem appears to be a bug in Firefox associated with the scrolling layers in the columns. There is currently nothing I can do about this because Firefox itself is not consistent in its behavior here -- I've made a couple of small changes that bring a little bit of improvement but I'm not going to change anything else while I'm shooting at a moving target. :frustration:

If anyone finds any other problems with Firefox please let me know. I very much want to support Firefox and if I can get everything working for it properly it would be great. Thanks! :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jonjon

Unread post by jonjon »

Well, I can definitely say that you are looking the wrong way... Your website must have been coded for Internet Explorer (which is not standard compliant) and is not working on FireFox which is 100% standard compliant... the problem comes from the code and not from the browser.
Tim Green
Site Admin

The programmers at Mozilla/Firefox have confirmed that it is a bug and it has been added to the to-do list there.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Firefox display problem fixed

Update, 1 March 2005:

The forum display problem appears to be fixed in Firefox 1.0.1, which has just been released. 8)
Regards,

Private support: