RSS Feed updated to V2.0

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

RSS Feed updated to V2.0

Unread post by Tim Green »

The Help & Manual Forums RSS Feed has been updated to RSS 2.0. The most important change is that the items now include the pubdate attribute, which means you can now sort postings by the date they were posted. In addition to this there is also a new button at the bottom of each posting in the feed with which you can reply to a topic directly.

Updating your Feed Aggregator:

Most current aggregators will probably update the new version of the feed automatically. If you have any problems just delete the H&M Feed from your aggregator and re-enter it, using the RSS/XML button in the forum header.

Enjoy! 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Re: RSS Feed updated to V2.0

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:In addition to this there is also a new button at the bottom of each posting
in the feed with which you can reply to a topic directly.
Great! Many thanks Tim. 8)

Just a reminder that most aggregators (well, all the ones I've tried) strip all
scripting from the pages displayed in the internal browser. This means that
if you want to include emoticons in your reply or use the formatting buttons,
you must select "Show in external browser" before clicking the Reply icon.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: RSS Feed updated to V2.0

Martin,
Martin Wynne wrote: Great! Many thanks Tim. 8)
You're welcome!
Just a reminder that most aggregators (well, all the ones I've tried) strip all
scripting from the pages displayed in the internal browser. This means that
if you want to include emoticons in your reply or use the formatting buttons,
you must select "Show in external browser" before clicking the Reply icon.
The 2.0 feed generator for phpBB is actually quite intelligent. It won't display images but it does automatically include links to the emoticons used in phpBB so that they also display in the aggregators.

The "Reply" button isn't a problem in this regard because it only takes you directly to the forum and opens the "Post a reply" screen, for which you have to log on. I find this the best solution -- I don't want to "uncouple" users completely from the forum itself. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
esfabian

Unread post by esfabian »

I'd like to read the Forum as a newsgroup. My normal mail and news client is Outlook Express, secondary is Thunderbird.

BTW, is there a way to navigate in the web-based Forum with keyboard only?
Steve Fábián
Tim Green
Site Admin

Steve,
esfabian wrote:I'd like to read the Forum as a newsgroup. My normal mail and news client is Outlook Express, secondary is Thunderbird.
You or anyone else are very welcome to develop the additional software for the phpBB bulletin board system that would make this possible. 8)
BTW, is there a way to navigate in the web-based Forum with keyboard only?

The forum is a web page displayed in your browser, so the general answer to that is no -- just the same as for any other web page. Some web pages are designed to work in keyboard-operated, text-only browsers like Lynx, but the phpBB system does not display well in Lynx.
Regards,

Private support: