Posts since last visit problem

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Davem

Posts since last visit problem

Unread post by Davem »

The posts since last visit count currently shows 35.

When I go to view these, only the first page (14) is displayed, and there are no page number or next buttons available.

Regards
Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dave,

This is correct -- the number of posts includes threads with multiple posts, so you have 14 threads listed on the page with a total of 35 posts. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Davem

Posts since last visit

Unread post by Davem »

I may have imagined it....and don't want to cry wolf, yet. :oops:

But...I have noticed this on several occasions, once after 10 days absence, when our building was damaged by a nearby oil depot explosion, and there was still only one page displayed. Seems an unlikely coincidence that the number of posts always distills down to 14 topics, or never more than one page.

Can anyone else who's not logged on for a while confirm whether there's a problem. It might hopefully be a while before the next explosion :wink:

Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

OK, please keep an eye on it... :wink:
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jonathan S

Unread post by Jonathan S »

Tim, FYI I've also noticed an inconsistency related to this, but it's been minor.

There have been times where the number of posts since my last visit was rather small, like 3 or 5, and when I went to the search page, there were less than that (including all the posts in the threads that were listed, not just the threads themselves.) There have even been a couple of times when I was told there were 1 or 2 new posts since my last visit, but nothing came up on the search page at all.

I was guessing this might be an issue of posts placed while I was in my previous visit being counted towards this "new post" total, but wasn't sure. Any ideas?

Jonathan
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Jonathan S wrote:Tim, FYI I've also noticed an inconsistency related to this, but it's been minor.
I've noticed that "posts since last visit" is meaningless after an update via RSS
(which requires a log-in for TE). The RSS log-in presumably cancels any existing
unread posts on the forum site, even though you haven't visited it.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Martin,
Martin Wynne wrote:I've noticed that "posts since last visit" is meaningless after an update via RSS
Hopefully, you noticed this very soon after the RSS feed was first installed. I have sinced coordinated with the programmer and we have modified the code so that this problem does not occur. I have my RSS aggregator on all the time -- that's how I monitor the forum -- and I don't have any problems with this. When I log on to the forum the unread messages are all there.
Regards,

Private support:
Davem

Unread post by Davem »

I was away yesterday. Posts since last visit on logging on today reported as 56.
But total of number of new posts + number of replies is 91. :?
Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,
Davem wrote:I was away yesterday. Posts since last visit on logging on today reported as 56. But total of number of new posts + number of replies is 91.
Are you referring to the "View posts since last visit" link on the portal page? The code in this page is quite old so I may have to see if it needs to be updated. Since it's not critical it may take a while though, I'm incredibly busy at the moment... :x
Regards,

Private support:
Davem

Unread post by Davem »

Tim
Its the hyperlink in the top right of the page after logging on, text "View posts since last visit (nn).
Link code:
http://helpman.it-authoring.com/search. ... d=newposts
No worries, you can find them all by date on the forum anyway.
Dave
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave,

That's what I thought. I'll check the code there as soon as I get the time... 8)
Regards,

Private support: