Forum window goes haywire

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Dean Whitlock

Forum window goes haywire

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi All,

Three times now, the forum window in IE has gone crazy on me and started spawning infinite clones of itself. This has happened in IE6 and IE7. It has only happened when I was using the H&M Forum. The situation is that I am looking at the list of Posts Since Last Visit. I shift-click on a topic to open it in a separate window. I decide to Post a Reply. After submitting the reply, I click the X-box to close the window. Instead of closing, the window starts cloning itself, opening dozens of new IE windows in a few moments. This last time, I had to close everything else and shut down before it would stop.

I think it may be a timing issue: I click the X-box just as the forum is about to display my reply to me. It has never happened when I have waited for the reply to appear. I suppose it could also be some sort of weird virus or worm or whatever, but it happens only occassionally and doesn't affect anything else, so I doubt it.

Has this happened to anyone else? In any other browser? Or on any other site?
Does anyone know how to stop the spawning behavior without shutting down? Is there a simple keystroke that will kill IE?
(Title of the next sequel: "Kill Bill 3 - Death to IE" :twisted: )

Thanks, and be careful,
Dean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dean,

This sounds very odd and I've never seen it reported before, and I just checked on the phpBB support forum as well -- but I also don't use IE for accessing the forum. I use Opera, and accessing the forum is almost the only thing I use Opera for, I use Firefox for almost everything else. Opera is best for the forum because no other browser handles the phpBB editing box better. For example, when you enter an emoticon in Firefox it is always pasted right at the end of the text, and if you select text and then apply formatting the editor jumps around like the old table editor in H&M3. In Opera you don't have any of these problems.

It sounds very much like a timing problem. Until I hear something concrete about what's causing it I think the only thing to do is not to try to close a window while an operation is still in process.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
JerryWaxler

infinite spawning happened to me last week

Unread post by JerryWaxler »

But I didn't report it and don't know how to reproduce it. I thought maybe one of the announcements had a virus, but that was speculation, and have not seen any complaint from any virus checker. I'm on IE 6.

Jerry