Do you use 64-bit Windows

This section is for questions relating to using the forum. Announcements on updates and any issues with the forum software may also be posted here occasionally.

Moderator: Tim Green

Do you use 64-bit Windows?

I am already using Windows XP 64
9%
I am already using Windows Vista 64
25%
I plan to switch to Windows XP 64
3%
I plan to switch to Windows Vista 64
6%
I have no plans to switch to 64-bit Windows
58%

Total votes: 209

Tim Green
Site Admin

Do you use 64-bit Windows

Unread post by Tim Green »

Are you using a 64-bit version of Windows or are you planning to switch to a 64-bit Windows version in the near future? This was previously a non-issue because of incompatibility problems with a lot of hardware and software but recently the situation has been changing. Particularly with Vista more and more hardware and software now supports the 64-bit version and more professional users appear to be switching to get better security and access to more memory.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

There's no demand for 64-bit applications from my end-users yet, but, when they do want them, they will want them "today!" So please do prepare H&M for that time. And, of course, my end-users will also want immediate support for Windows "7" which is planned to replace Vista in 2010 with 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Indications are that my end-users can't wait to ditch Vista ....
Tim Green
Site Admin

From your users' point of view there is nothing to prepare: No changes whatsoever need to be made to help and documentation formats to run on 64-bit Windows.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ChucktheCanuck

WHat about users who create the HM help files

Unread post by ChucktheCanuck »

You mention there is no problem for user using the HM Help files. I'm in the process of switching to Windows Vista 64.

I'm using the H&M 4.5.0 version.

Will switching to Vista 64 impact my ability to create Help Files for this version?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Chuck,

We haven't experienced any problems with Vista64 and HM4 ourselves and also have not had any reports from users on issues over the last months. However, only HM5 is specifically designed to be Vista64 compatible.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mmueller

Unread post by mmueller »

Hi Tim,

I wanted to vote a second time. Cause I'm using 64 bit Vista besides 64 bit XP. ;)
Best Regards,

Michael Müller
H&M 6.0.2 Build 2352
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,
I wanted to vote a second time. Cause I'm using 64 bit Vista besides 64 bit XP.
Are you experiencing any issues in XP64? Vista64 has been tested quite thoroughly with HM5 and all the known issues have been resolved but there has been effectively zero user feedback for XP64 -- it is used much less because general hardware and software support for it was much poorer than for Vista64.
Regards,

Private support:
mmueller

Unread post by mmueller »

Hi Tim,

We're running our software using 64 Bit XP.
Vista (32 / 64 Bit) is not used on productive systems.
No issues by now. Since we started H&M just short time ago and all develeppers machines run XP 32 Bit (on 64 Bit Hardware), there is no experiance with H&M and XP64, especially 64 Bit XP is used on server machines. Portions of our software which run on this machines don't use a gui nor a help system ;)
Best Regards,

Michael Müller
H&M 6.0.2 Build 2352
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information! :)
Regards,

Private support:
dempseypat

64 bit servers rock

Unread post by dempseypat »

We do database programming and comparing 64 bit SQL Server vs 32 bit is like night and day. Making all that memory available makes the database program fly.

We have to be able to talk to 64 bits because when a user spends bucks on a server, they want to be able to use it.

However, we ignore XP 64 because there just seems to be many problems.

Pat
Pat Dempsey
Pismo Beach, CA
vanwerkum

Unread post by vanwerkum »

Has anyone experienced any issues with H&M 5.3 running on 64-bit Win 7?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Robert,
vanwerkum wrote:Has anyone experienced any issues with H&M 5.3 running on 64-bit Win 7?
Have you? I use 64-bit Windows 7 almost exclusively (except when I'm testing in virtual machines) and haven't had a single problem so far...
Regards,

Private support:
vanwerkum

Unread post by vanwerkum »

We plan to move to 64-bit Win 7. I was just checking to see if H&M had any issues in this environment.
Discontinued UweS

64 Bit

Unread post by Discontinued UweS »

After extensive testing, I just now purchased version 5 and it works flawless on a 64-Bit system.

Regards,

Uwe