Drop Shadow defaults

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MBecker

Drop Shadow defaults

Unread post by MBecker »

I like to use the drop shadows, but I like to use a different setting. I can set the options for new captures, but for editing images, I have to manually set the shadow options for each image. :(

Is there a way to make my settings stick as the default?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The shadow setting is saved (globally) when you add an object with a shadow to an image in TNT. This setting is intentionally global, because it is assumed that if you add another object - either to the same or a different image - you want TNT to default to the same shadow options as before. So, this should actually do exactly what you want. Does it not?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
MBecker

Unread post by MBecker »

So, I have two things that I do: Capture new images and edit old ones. When I start TNT, the Shadow Options are set as in image "Reopen TNT." I have to reset the Shadow Options as shown "My Capture Shadow Setting." The settings are not saved between sessions.

When I am editing images, the settings appear as in "Add Shadow." I reset the sliders as shown in "My Shadow Setting." But each time I open a new image to edit, the settings revert back to "AddShadow," and I have to change the two sliders each time. The settings are not saved between images.

Perhaps I'm missing something. :?

~Margaret Becker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I see... there are actually two shadow settings that get used and saved here. One is the preset for the screenshot shadow (settings in the little dialog window) and the other shadow setting applies to objects, like callouts and text. TNT saves them independently - the object shadow is global, while the screen capture shadow is saved with the "Profile" setting. Currently you have to change both.

Do you use the same shadow type for all your screenshots? I assume you do. If yes, update the screen capture shadow first, then go to Options and click Save Profile as.... Save the current options as the "Default" profile. This profile is loaded automatically when you restart TNT (unless you change the profile to load in Options|Customize).

After that, change the object shadow by adding a new object and make it the same as the first shadow. That should recall the same shadow settings for all images - as long as you don't change them.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
MBecker

Unread post by MBecker »

Well, I tried all that (in fact, before I posted the question), but I still get the same results. The Shadow Options for captures resets the shadow color to the middle of the range, and the object shadow resets to the default settings between images. Loading a saved profile has no effect.

I have tried creating and loading a new profile and also saving the default profile with the new settings. Nada. :?

~M Becker
MBecker

Gave up on me, eh?

Unread post by MBecker »

So, no solution? With each image that I want to add a shadow to, I have to move the Shadow Offset slider. :(

I have saved the profile and loaded the profile several times, with no effect.

I have several hundred images to add shadows to. This is getting hard on my mouse hand, and it is not possible to be consistent by moving a slider.

Please. I'm trying to get everyone up to speed on this product in my office.

~MBecker
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

The problem is, this behavior is rather inexplicable. TNT saves its settings, including the shadow settings, in the Windows Registry, so what you are describing shouldn't be happening at all. The only thing I can think of is you might have accidentally set the Customize options to always load a specific profile. You can check this in the On Start tab of the Customize options -- this should be set to "Remember the settings..." and not "Always load this profile...".

However, from what you write I'm pretty sure you've already checked this. If so then your installation of TNT has somehow become corrupted. I can then only suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the program.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.