Import as .jpg

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

judyzafereo

Import as .jpg

Unread post by judyzafereo »

After I take a shot, it imports into TNT as a .bmp. It used to import as a .jpg that I was able to cut and paste directly from the shot and paste into an application. I have to save the .bmp as a .jpg then inport it into an application and in most cases I never need the shot again. I was hoping someone could tell me how to change a setting or profile to "import" the shot into TNT as a .jpg and not have to choose save as to get the file type.

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Judy,

Actually, when you take screenshots they don't import into TNT as anything. TNT simply displays the extension of the last file format you used to save a file. If you take a screenshot and save it as JPG the next screenshot you make will automatically display as JPG. However, there is not really any difference at all between this and the image "displayed" as BMP -- it is just a preselection of the save format as a convenience.

You should be able to select and paste it in exactly the same way in both cases, irrespective of which extension is displayed. There is actually no difference between the two until they are saved. They are both plain bitmaps, and when you cut and paste you are actually pasting a bitmap file, not a JPEG file.

To insert a JPEG file you must first save as JPG and then load the JPG file in your other application. This is better than cutting and pasting -- it often produces better results (pasted images often get resized and their quality goes down) and it avoids problems associated with embedded images.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.