png

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

aranoff

png

Unread post by aranoff »

Created png files on my website:
www.analysis-knowledge.com

These are screen shots using TNT, with the resolution of the screen 1024X768. They look great on my monitor. The problem is that they fill more than one screen on other people's monitors.

Is the solution to run my app with the lowest resolution and then capture the image?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

There are a number of different solutions to this problem, but you will get the best image quality if you set a lower screen resolution before capturing. Screenshots are always 1:1 bitmap images of what's on the screen, so everything else involves scaling, which always reduces quality somewhat.

For example, you can set the image size percentage in TNT, but reducing the image will always make it "fuzzy". The same applies when you resize the images in PaintShop or PhotoShop or whatever, of course. Some graphics programs will produce quite good results, but it's always more work... :wink:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
aranoff

png

Unread post by aranoff »

First of all, when I reply, why do I have to add a header? Why isn't the subject made by default?

Okay, you answered one question. If I am going to use TNT to add to a website, I should create the image while in the lowest resolution, if the image fills up the screen. Good point. I suggest you add this to TNT help.

Next question: What are your comments regarding this message from the HTML newsgroup:

"Although it is improving, browser support for png graphics is far from universal. Even IE's support is limited in some respects. It is still much safer to use jpg or gif.

"A well designed page will get taller and thinner as resolution decreases and the opposite as resolution increases. HTML will do this by default as long as you don't get in its way. You get in its way by inserting fixed-width objects whose width exceeds the number of pixels for display."

You once said that png is the best. I noticed that if I create a screen shot of a stock market chart, it seems sharper as png rather than as jpg. What this this person mean by "safer"?

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

aranoff wrote:First of all, when I reply, why do I have to add a header? Why isn't the subject made by default?
You don't have to enter anything -- since the original posting and its answers are always displayed together when you display the thread the heading at the top applies to the entire thread. The field is simply provided to enable you to enter something different if you want to... :twisted:
"A well designed page will get taller and thinner as resolution decreases and the opposite as resolution increases. HTML will do this by default as long as you don't get in its way. You get in its way by inserting fixed-width objects whose width exceeds the number of pixels for display."
This applies to all graphics in web pages, not just PNG. For browsers a graphic is always a fixed-width object.

There are limitations on PNG support but so far I haven't seen any in HTML Help, which by definition uses Internet Explorer =>4.x. In my personal experience using the "convert all graphics to PNG" setting produces smaller CHM files and slightly better graphics quality, which is why I use it. :wink:
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
aranoff

Unread post by aranoff »

In my personal experience using the
"convert all graphics to PNG" setting

How does one use this setting? I could not find it in help.

I use TNT, not impicit. It seems that I have to import files as bmp files, as there is no option for importing a png file.

BTW, how does one add emoticons?[/img]
aranoff

Save as png with TNT

Unread post by aranoff »

Another TNT question:

Save an image as a png file. There are various options regarding Filter and Compression, and Interlaced. Could you please comment on these? I could not find them in help.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

aranoff wrote:"convert all graphics to PNG" setting
How does one use this setting? I could not find it in help.
Project / Project Properties / HTML Export Layout / Image Conversion
aranoff wrote:I use TNT, not impicit. It seems that I have to import files as bmp files, as there is no option for importing a png file.
Impict is H&M's integrated graphics editor, it doesn't do the screenshots. The integrated screenshot module is actually a version of TNT. If TNT is installed on the same computer as H&M all its extended capabilities will be available within H&M when you call Screen Capture (Tools menu or toolbar). I don't use this facility myself, however, because I always run the programs I am writing about on a separate machine.

When working with H&M you must use either BMP graphics or the Impict IPP format (this format will allow you to re-edit images containing objects later). These are the only formats that H&M can read and they will also give you the best quality. Also, they will NOT make your help file larger. H&M converts them to the appropriate compressed formats at compile time, using the Image Conversion settings. The main reason for this approach is the current licensing fees for JPG and GIF. For more details see Alex's article about this in the Tutorials and Guides section:

http://www.it-authoring.com/bb/helpauth ... c.php?t=92

BTW: The only factors that will make your graphics smaller in the compiled CHM are image size and the number of colors in each graphic. I find that I can get away with 16 colors for most screenshots, both TNT and Impict do a very good job of reducing the colors.

The whole question of graphics formats has been discussed here quite extensively. If you do a search on GIF and/or JPG and/or PNG you will find several threads.
aranoff wrote:Another TNT question:
Save an image as a png file. There are various options regarding Filter and Compression, and Interlaced. Could you please comment on these? I could not find them in help.

If nobody else answers you should probably contact support on this one. I've also often wondered about the capabilities of the various settings. However, if you play around with them you'll quickly find out which settings work best for you.
aranoff wrote:BTW, how does one add emoticons?
Just click on the emoticon you want to insert. :twisted:
Regards,

Private support: