TNT UNDER WIN2003 SERVER?

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

JXBURNS

TNT UNDER WIN2003 SERVER?

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Anyone had TNT (2.1.0) running under Windows Server 2003? Appears to install OK but does nothing when icon clicked (and no apparent processes starting).

Before I start playing around with Remote Desktop and/or XP under Virtual Server would appreciate any comments?

Thanks - John
JXBURNS

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Bumping due non-response from anyone. I managed to get running under Virtual PC but wondered if any plans to allow running on the server so I can capture screen images direct from there?

Thanks - John
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

When you say "running" on Windows Server do you mean installing it on the server and then starting it on a networked PC? If so that probably won't work. TNT is designed to be installed and run locally. The same applies to emulators like Virtual PC -- it may or may not work, there is no guarantee there as it's not an environment that the program is specifically designed to run in.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
JXBURNS

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Tim,

I am using it directly and locally on the server.

The last registered update I can see was in December 2003 & the supported OS on the main TNT page does state it supports Win2003 so don't understand why it is not starting. Perhaps there has been an update since but not been updated on the registered version access route?

Rgds John
Tim Green
Site Admin

John,

I just contacted the programmers on this and they say that it has recently been discovered that TNT refuses to start on some machines running W2003. The exact cause of this is not yet known, it is under investigation.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
JXBURNS

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Tim,

Just to clarify my system is running Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1 Premium Edition with all latest patches applied.

If anyone wants me to beta test anything then let me know.

Thanks - John
Tim Green
Site Admin

John,

This annoying problem only turns up on a very, very few W2003 machines, just 3 so far in the last few years. The programmers suspect that it has to do with a Windows service that is interfering with the operation of TNT.

The main question is, what happens when the program starts? Does TNT appear on the screen? And which functions don't work? Does it start in minimized mode, with just an icon in the system tray (bottom right of the taskbar)?
Regards,

Private support:
JXBURNS

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Tim,

Nothing at all happens as far as I could tell although I have had another go and do see the hourglass appear for a couple of seconds. Certainly nothing in system tray or elsewhere.

Checked the event logs but nothing in any of them related to this. So checked the Dr Watson log and sure enough there are entries in there showing the failure. Then ran TNT.EXE through Dependency Walker. That does not really show up too much but may be of some help as shows what DLL's etc are being loaded. I now have a 646KB zipped file containg both the log and DWI file if of any use? If so, where should I send it?

Rgds John
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

Thanks for the update, I've pointed the EC programmers to this thread and they may contact you for more details.
Regards,

Private support:
JXBURNS

News Update?

Unread post by JXBURNS »

Has there ever been any more news on this?

I have never been able to start TNT 2.1 on any Windows 2003 SBS server I own.

Using DependencyWalker seems to get as far as loading MPR.DLL and then unloads itself.

Thanks - John