Is TNT Vista Compatible?

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Brian McGinnis

Is TNT Vista Compatible?

Unread post by Brian McGinnis »

I've finally gotten around to shifting my development environment over to Windows Vista and have installed my copy of TNT 2.1.0 build 370 but it would appear that the window capturing is not working... (at first it doesn't display the red rectangle, then when it does, you still can't ctrl-click to actually do a capture).

Is there a version that works with Vista or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Brian
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Brian,

TNT can be used in Vista but there are still a couple of issues that need to be borne in mind. An updated version is the next thing on the list after H&M 5 has been released later this year, Here are the general guidelines for TNT in Vista:
  1. The red selection frame may be incorrect if you set Vista's screen fonts to a size different from the standard default size. This can be corrected by returning the Vista screen fonts to the defaults.

However, note that Vista's new interface cannot be captured with 100% accuracy. In many cases part of the Aero "glow" around some buttons will be outside the capture frame if you capture a window or dialog.
  2. If you have Vista's transparent Aero interface activated you must minimize TNT to the Taskbar and activate captures with the capture hotkey combination when using the Free Region capture mode. If you don't do this TNT itself will only be partly faded off the screen and will be visible in your capture.
  3. Some program windows in Vista, including Internet Explorer windows, cannot yet be captured in Window or Menu mode. You must use free region mode to capture these windows. This is caused by the fact that in Vista all applications with access to the Internet and other security-critical zones have special security ratings that prevent interaction with other programs, including screen capture programs. We are currently looking into ways of solving this problem.
  4. Some elements of TNT's help will not work in Vista, particularly the Capture Wizard and the What'sThis? help displayed when you right-click on controls in the program. You can solve this problem by installing this update from Microsoft.
Microsoft surprised us all with this one: Contrary to what they had announced before the release of Vista, Windows Vista actually contains full integrated support for WinHelp, the only thing that was missing was the single file provided with this download. Once this installed all WinHelp features will work normally, just as they do in XP and earlier versions of Windows. This also includes all application calls to WinHelp help files and field-level WinHelp popopups in applications.

However, Microsoft does not permit developers to distribute this update with their products -- every user must download it and install it themselves. Also, it is quite possible that WinHelp support will be removed from Vista completly in a future update.
Brian McGinnis

Unread post by Brian McGinnis »

Thanks for the response, Tim.

That was the information I was looking for...

-Brian
Mike Scott

Actually registering under Vista

Unread post by Mike Scott »

Grateful for help in registering my copy of TNT using Vista. I've installed using the standard tntsetup.exe from your site and I've installed WinHelp too, and I do know my registration code. But when I choose Help | Register TNT I just get sent to a purchase section of your site.
(I really like TNT and have used it with H&M for years!)

Cheers -- Mike
Mike Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

There is a separate download link for the registered version of TNT. Unlike H&M4, it still has different versions for the free trial and the registered version. I've mailed you the link in response to your mail to support. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mike Scott

Unread post by Mike Scott »

Tim, hi
Sorry but as I have moved PC my new Thunderbird is still learning about spam-- despite a search I cannot trace your email. Could you kindly re-send the link?
Mike
Mike Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

No problem, done. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
memobug

Any news?

Unread post by memobug »

Tim Green wrote:Hi Brian,

TNT can be used in Vista but there are still a couple of issues that need to be borne in mind. An updated version is the next thing on the list after H&M 5 has been released later this year....
Hi Tim,

Is there any update on the status of the TNT Vista project? I came into contact with your software through a GOATD link and I am interesting in upgrading to a paid version for my Vista machine. Vista's kind of approaching end of market life, and it looks like Windows 7 has a built in clipping tool. Nowhere near as flexible as TNT, but built in, anyway.

Regards,

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Vista has the same clipping tool, it's just better hidden. Just enter "clipping" in the search below the programs list and it will appear for selection. There is no clear timeframe for the next version of TNT at the moment, sorry. :?
Regards,

Private support: