Font Colors in Text Tool

With the release of TNT v. 2.0 the EC Software screenshot program has become a serious application in its own right, so it was high time that it was given its own forum!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Winsteps

Font Colors in Text Tool

Unread post by Winsteps »

The standard color choice in the TNT Text Tool is limited. Does anyone know how to add Custom Colors to the selection, such as those available with the other Tools?

Or should I add this to the Wish List?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You only have those font selections in TNT, which is basically a quick tool for getting quick results. You also can't save in .IPP format with TNT to return and edit objects individually, once you save your file all your objects are merged. If you need to make more complex screenshot edits it's better to use Impict, where you can save editable objects (and editable text in external XML files) and you also get a color picker with custom colors for fonts in the text tool etc.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Winsteps

Thanks for this advice, Tim.
I use TNT for activities apart from H&M, such as constructing screen shots for power-point presentations.
When IMPICT is run in stand-alone mode, it does not seem to have the interactive screen-grabbing capabilities of TNT.
Following up a suggestion in another thread, I evaluated SNAGIT, but it was much too intrusive in my work-flow. SNAGIT is too much. IMPICT (in stand-alone mode) is too little. TNT is almost exactly right!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Impict just has very basic screen capture because it's assumed that you want "unchanged" graphics there and will apply all your transformations in Impict. It's also a lot better to work like this if you plan to do any more editing later -- for example, if you create a screenshot with a built-in drop shadow you're stuck with it and can't change it without re-doing the screenshot from scratch. However, if you add a drop shadow to a bitmap layer in Impict you can always change or replace the shadow whenever you want. Also, if the screenshot changes you just replace the bitmap and all the other components of your complex screenshot remain unchanged.

When I'm doing help graphics I generally work with both TNT and Impict open at the same time. Even when I'm doing plain graphics for editing in Impict I still make them in TNT, but that's just my personal habit. Sometimes I will also touch something up a little in TNT before copying it to a complex image in Impict.

In the long run we want to produce a tool that combines the features of TNT and Impict, but that's still a little down the road.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Winsteps

Thanks, Tim. - It's a great road to be on!
alicewatson

Re: Font Colors in Text Tool

Unread post by alicewatson »

in my notebook I have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 and connected a second monitor.
TNT works fine when free region screen capturing happens on the same screen as TNTs application window.
Therefore if I like to capture something on the secondary screen I move also TNT to this screen before.
Regards,
alice...