HM2GO on Network Server

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

ALPHONSO WILLIS

HM2GO on Network Server

Unread post by ALPHONSO WILLIS »

I have a Delphi application where all application files are on a network server. I plan on using WebHelp and storing the WebHep files on the same server. Using the file:// prefix instead on http:// to access the help doesn't work with a call to ShellExecute, I hope to use HM2GO for a easy web server stand-in. But I came across the this post from a few years ago:

Re: Help&Manual 2 go / context sensitve help
Postby Tim Green » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 am

The following statement was made:

If your help is being accessed on a server on a local network you need your own web server. Modern browsers are increasingly causing problems when you try to open complex websites directly without a server, and their new security restrictions will tend to make the help dysfunctional if you don't use a server. You can't use HM2Go for this, you need a full server. HM2Go is just a solution for getting around the web server problem when opening WebHelp locally, i.e. using it as local replacement for CHM files and for opening WebHelp stored in optical CD or DVD media, where the server can be implemented together with the WebHelp. HM2Go can't be used as a replacement for a full-time server accessed by multiple users.

So does this mean that I can't successfully use HM2GO on a Windows server network, where the help files are on the network? Isn't the address http://127.0.0.1:8810 only available to the each individual user locally, so that multiple users can use the same WebHelp files?

Thanks,

Al Willis
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HM2GO on Network Server

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Al,
ALPHONSO WILLIS wrote:So does this mean that I can't successfully use HM2GO on a Windows server network, where the help files are on the network? Isn't the address http://127.0.0.1:8810 only available to the each individual user locally, so that multiple users can use the same WebHelp files?
That's exactly what it means. HM2Go is a solution for opening WebHelp files locally without a web server available. This automatically precludes operation on a real network, because that isn't what it's for -- then you couldn't have a tiny fast server in a file less than 2MB in size. If you're putting it on a real network then you need to have a real web server on that network. Setting up a local web server today is quick and easy and all the components are free, or included in the server configuration. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ALPHONSO WILLIS

Re: HM2GO on Network Server

Unread post by ALPHONSO WILLIS »

Tim,

OK, thanks.

Al