opening new browser tab for every Help click

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Mike Scott

opening new browser tab for every Help click

Unread post by Mike Scott »

I am at last migrating the Help on my applications to the user's browser, fed up with the restrictions on networked drives for CHM files. I would like to know whether it is possible by default to open one and the same browser window/tab, not have Firefox constantly be opening new ones,
To do it I am using Delphi XE and basing my strategy on ShellExecute in Windows:
ShellExecuteW(handle, 'OPEN', pwidechar(Filename),'', '', sw_shownormal)
and overriding Application.OnHelp to use that ShellExecuteW call.
I suppose the browser always opening up new windows/tabs may be a user setting which my programs cannot alter (and should not try). Is that right?

Any help gratefully received! :)

Mike
Mike Scott
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: opening new browser tab for every Help click

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mike,
I suppose the browser always opening up new windows/tabs may be a user setting which my programs cannot alter (and should not try). Is that right?
That's correct. Tab behavior is user-controlled and experienced users are always angry if you try to change their settings. Inexperienced users don't notice but unfortunately JavaScript's onUserExperience event doesn't fire very accurately on most browsers yet... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.