how to configure a skin to generate context ID map?

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Marie-Christine Mahe

how to configure a skin to generate context ID map?

Unread post by Marie-Christine Mahe »

For the purposes of context-sensitive help, we need a map of context IDs. This is presented as an option on some skins' include options ("Context ID Links").But not in the new Premium Pack 3.46 skins :-(.
It seems this used to be handled by an OPT_CONTEXT build option, is this correct? But has it been removed from the latest skins?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: how to configure a skin to generate context ID map?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marie,

The context ID map was never generated by the skin, that is always something that Help+Manual must do. You can do it with the Context Tool in the Project tab. See this topic in the help for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... ontext.htm

Context IDs are fully supported in the V3 skins. You just don't need to explicitly turn the option on or off any more. It is always available. See here for details:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... nking.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marie-Christine Mahe

Unread post by Marie-Christine Mahe »

I can generate a map with the context tool all right, but then what do I do with it? What format is best/most standard, where would I put the resulting file, how would the resulting help know to use it?? No hint of path configuration in the skin variables, not a peep in the documentation..
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marie,
Marie-Christine Mahe wrote:I can generate a map with the context tool all right, but then what do I do with it? What format is best/most standard, where would I put the resulting file, how would the resulting help know to use it?? No hint of path configuration in the skin variables, not a peep in the documentation..
That is designed for use by your developers, to give them the context numbers to link to. It's not for use in WebHelp -- there the context numbers are exported automatically, provided that they are also included in your topics.

Unlike topic IDs, help context numbers are optional (they are technically only really for CHM help files on Windows, and there too they are optional) and you have to activate or add them yourself. There are a number of different ways to do that:
  • You can add numbers to each topic manually in the Topic Options tab, accessed on the left of the topic editor window.
  • You can use the Context tool to add numbers to all your topics globally. This can either be auto-generated, or using a map file that you import.
  • You can configure Help+Manual to add context numbers to each NEW topic automatically, in Configuration > Common Properties > Miscellaneous
I think where you are stumbling here is with the assumption that you need to do something to "generate" the context numbers output for WebHelp, and that isn't the case. Provided your topics have the numbers assigned, they will be there in the WebHelp output. Then you just need to use a skin that supports them and link to them with the correct URL syntax. That is really all there is to it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.