Martin's TOC modifier

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Martin Wynne

Martin's TOC modifier

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

I have created a Windows utility for my own use to modify a Webhelp TOC.

It adds mouse-over tooltips and/or icons to any TOC item, and can divide the TOC into sections with coloured backgrounds and headings.

It is suitable for use with TOCs from all H&M skins or none, except the Premium Pack Version 3 skins.

I'm happy to make it available to anyone interested -- some notes about using it and a download link are at:

http://85a.co.uk/toc_mods/toc_mods_ins.html

Please bear in mind that it was made for my own use, so it's scruffy, there is little idiot-proofing, and no bells or whistles. :)

But I'm finding it very useful.

Please bear in mind that it is not connected with H&M or EC Software in any way, so Tim can't provide any help or support whatsoever. I will try to answer here any questions arising.

cheers,

Martin.
Tim Frost

Re: Martin's TOC modifier

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Is there a fundamental reason why v3 responsive skins cannot be modified to do this, or is it just that you do not use them so have not needed to implement the enhancement for them?
Martin Wynne

Tim Frost wrote:Is there a fundamental reason why v3 responsive skins cannot be modified to do this, or is it just that you do not use them so have not needed to implement the enhancement for them?
Hi Tim,

The PP v3 skins differ fundamentally in their working from other skins. There is no TOC file as such which could be modified this way -- in a v3 skin chunks of TOC content are loaded dynamically from the server as needed, and then discarded. It might be possible to do something to modify it, but not using this program, sorry.

Here is a very silly example of the program in use with a PP v2 skin, just to show what would be possible:

http://85a.co.uk/toc_mods/v2_skin/index.html

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Martin -
Works beautifully in our V2-skinned WebHelp. It will being going live sometime in the wee hours tonight/tomorrow morning, Massachusetts time.

Here's our first go at color-coding major sections + putting tooltips on TOC listings:

VERY much appreciated!

Dave
Martin Wynne

Hi Dave,

Looks good. Glad it worked ok. Thanks for letting me know. Image

Martin.