Webhelp behind login page

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Thomas Grehl

Webhelp behind login page

Unread post by Thomas Grehl »

Hi,

we have a closed user base that we provide with CHM file in an installer at the moment. For various reasons, we think about additionally providing the Webhelp on our server, but we need to put the content behind a login as the content is proprietary. Has anyone experience with this using multiple large H&M projects?

thanks,
Thomas
Thomas Grehl
IONTOF GmbH
www.iontof.com
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Webhelp behind login page

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Thomas,

Basically, this needs to be done on the web server, not in the content you put on the server. Web servers can protect folders with simple passwords and user names, but what you need here is a full login system. It would have to have a database with good cryptography to store user names and passwords safely and a login page where users enter their user names and passwords and then get directed to the WebHelp they select.

The system needs to be selected, configured and maintained by a competent web developer with experience in web authentication and cryptography. Getting it wrong can easily create an entry point to everything on your web server and you don't want to be the next data breach headline -- large or small. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Thomas Grehl

Unread post by Thomas Grehl »

Hi Tim,

this is clear in principle, but I heard from our consultant that some login methods require an injection of code into each HTML page, and I wondered if there was a best practice. But probably there are so many ways to build such a login system that each has its own implications.

thanks anyhow,
Thomas
Thomas Grehl
IONTOF GmbH
www.iontof.com
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Thomas Grehl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pmthis is clear in principle, but I heard from our consultant that some login methods require an injection of code into each HTML page, and I wondered if there was a best practice. But probably there are so many ways to build such a login system that each has its own implications.
I'm not entirely sure about that, you would have to consult a web security and authentication expert. However, in principle it shouldn't be necessary if your login system is providing access to the web folder.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.