Map files

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Srm74

Map files

Unread post by Srm74 »

I have a little problem.. :?
I have this map file with ID mappings:
Looks something like this.

#define IDH_DEBUG_PROFILE_DEPTHSTEP 0x18005
#define IDH_DEBUG_PROFILE_SNAPSHOT 0x18006
#define IDH_DEBUG_PROFILE_TIMEAVERAGE 0x18007
#define IDH_DEBUG_PROFILE_MANUAL 0x18008
#define IDH_DEBUG_EVENTS_BOTTOMHIT 0x18009

If I run the "Help Context Tool" and then import, it shows that nothing is "linked".
I would like to type in the ID's into H&M instead of "Help Context Number"..
This is because we some times need the change the context numbers to avoid some conflicts..

Is this possible to just write i.e. "IDH_DEBUG_PROFILE_DEPTHSTEP" instead of the number????

Thanks in advance :D
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, but one problem may be the "x" in your help context numbers. These numbers must be numeric only, alpha characters are not supported.

You can use the map file to automatically create new topics by selecting the Create missing topics option in the Help Context Tool. Then all IDs in the map file that do not exist in the project will automatically generate new topics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

First:
Have you seen this http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?t=1950 thread about importing context numbers?

Second:
You cannot use the logical name in H&M. Your application and the helpfile use the number to find the right topic. H&M does not support to store the logical name and to read the map file during compilation.
Waldemar
Laura Look

Unread post by Laura Look »

Tim Green wrote:one problem may be the "x" in your help context numbers. These numbers must be numeric only, alpha characters are not supported.
My map file looks exactly like Srm74's. The x's just mean that the numbers are in hexadecimal. This works fine.

We put the Topic IDs from Help & Manual on the left of the #define. Then the programmer adds the hexadecimal values to the right and gives me back the map file. Then I use the Help Context Tool to import. As long as the Topic ID in the map file are the same as those already in Help & Manual, this should work. I'm not sure where Srm74 is going wrong...

Regards,
Laura Look
Bitsmith Software
Srm74

Unread post by Srm74 »

I figured that part out, was typing the Topic IDs in the wrong place in H&M...

But a little thing which is quite anoying is, that you can't do the same if you want the help to specific place in a topic using achors / bookmarks ..

It's a commonly used thing to do in the help for our software.
Let's say we have a topic with 3 dialogs explained..
When I press F1 in program, when viewing one of the dialogs, it would be nice if it opened the help topic and scrolled down to where the specific dialog is explained..

I got it to work by making an anchor an manually typing in the number from the VC file..

Anyone having troubles with that???

Regards,
Søren
Tim Green
Site Admin

Søren,
But a little thing which is quite anoying is, that you can't do the same if you want the help to specific place in a topic using achors / bookmarks ..
But you can! When you create an anchor you can include a help context number that you can use to reference the anchor from your application and you can also apply context numbers to anchors with the Help Context Tool.

I'm an author not a programmer so I don't know about the mechanics of referencing context numbers, but it is different from making calls to topic IDs...
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Srm74

Unread post by Srm74 »

Hi Tim,

Yes, I know that you can set the number in an anchor (I got that to work ;-) ), but I would like to add an ID just like the Topic ID, and then then let the "Help Context Tool" fill in the number..

The reason for this is, that our numbers can change during development of the program, but the ID don't.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ah, OK, got it. :) I'm not entirely certain, somebody may be able to correct me on this, but AFAIK the help format itself does not support this, I don't think it's a restriction imposed by H&M.
Regards,

Private support: