Connecting my H&M3.2 help file (.chm) to my .NET applica

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

EliCohen

Connecting my H&M3.2 help file (.chm) to my .NET applica

Unread post by EliCohen »

Hi!

I am a new Help and Manual user. I am trying to connect my help file to my application using the HelpProvider control in Visual Studio .Net . I have set the HelpNameSpace to the correct location, but am not sure what to set my HelpNavigator and HelpKeyword to. It seems (and correct me if I am wrong) that the HelpContextID has been phased out and replaced by HelpKeyword.

So far I have been able to call my help file by pressing F1 on a screen, but the help file does not open to the correct topic.

Help!

Thanks,

E Cohen
EliCohen

here is how it's done....

wow! Just figured it out.

After dragging the HelpProvider control onto your form, set the HelpNamepspace to you .chm file location. Then click on the component you want to link help to when the user presses F1 and goto properties. Set HelpNavigator to Topic and HelpKeyword to the "/topicname.htm".

In Help & Manual this will be Topic ID (found in the Topic Options section) in Lowercase with the extension .htm. eg: if my topicID is AboutMyProgram you will enter /aboutmyprogram.htm in the HelpKeyword field.

How this helps more than just me!
EliCohen

just figured it out!

wow! Just figured it out.

After dragging the HelpProvider control onto your form, set the HelpNamepspace to the .chm file location. Then click on the component you want to link help to when the user presses F1 and goto the component properties. Set HelpNavigator to Topic and HelpKeyword to the "/topicname.htm".

In Help & Manual this will be Topic ID (found in the Topic Options section) in Lowercase with the extension .htm. eg: if my topicID is AboutMyProgram you will enter /aboutmyprogram.htm in the HelpKeyword field.

How this helps more than just me!