HTML-Help to VB

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Olaf Rabbachin

HTML-Help to VB

Unread post by Olaf Rabbachin »

Hi folks,

although I might be a little OT here (ducking), how do I integrate a chm-file into a VB-application?
I followed various links until I got to the MVPS HTML-Help-Center, where I downloaded the HTML-class including the sample project (http://mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/classmod.htm).

So far, so good, but my application will always crash when the form that uses the class-module is unloaded - even though I un-subclassed the form just the way the sample does.
The only thing that I can think of is the fact that I don't have any (control-) popups yet, but I commented the related lines.

I'm pretty stuck on this one ... :oops:

Thanks in advance for any help, including a some place where this question might be more appropriate!

Cheers,
Olaf :D
Olaf Rabbachin

Unread post by Olaf Rabbachin »

Oops,

got it.
For those who'd like to know about this - the subclassing-module that comes with the HTML-Help-class *seems* (don't take me in on that one) to be supposed to be used with VB5 and WinHelp only. At least I could get rid of the app crashing by simply not subclassing it.

Anyhow, now that just about everything works fine (and me getting a little more on-topic :roll: ), I'm loosing the means to invoke the 'What's This?'-help within the application.
I tried to manually implement it by reacting to click-events, but with the W.T.?-cursor enabled, the controls won't receive any click-events ..?

Cheers,
Olaf
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Although I can't tell you much about VB (I have used it only a couple of times for some test applications), I believe it's the same as with Delphi:

The temporary what's-this help mode disables mouse clicks. Means: Windows captures the mouse and the application does not even receive a mouse click. Instead, it should receive a WM_HELP message. This message is actually sent to the window/control the user clicked on. VB perhaps provides an OnHelp event or something of that kind.

Hope this gets you into the right direction...
And, by the way, have you seen the VB tutorials from Don Lammers on http://www.ec-software.com/tutorial.htm ?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH