Installing Delphi Components For Help & Manual

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

Mike Culleton

Installing Delphi Components For Help & Manual

Unread post by Mike Culleton »

Hi all,

I am totally stuck. I have tried heaps of times to get the EC Software VCL components onto my Delphi 7 Enterprise pallet but no go. I really like Help and Manual but unless I can actually get components onto forms I will have to cancel the order.

Sorry if I sound short. I've been working unsuccessfully at this for many hours. Last time I had this level of difficulty was when I tried installing the Orpheus components off sourceforge only to find they made incorrect path statements - fixed it myself.

But this ... bothers me.

Any help seriously and gratefully appreciated. I am certain it must be simple - but apparently I am too simple to see it :)

Most components install themselves (fortunately) and I can just use them right away.

Please help - have heard nothing from support AT ec-software.com which is a real worry for me too. If they can't answer a simple installation question - what are they like with real problems?

Kindest regards,

Mike
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you're having such problems, I know what it's like when you're fighting with something like that and have (probably) time pressures as well. Bummer. :(

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I can't help you with this side of H&M. There are quite a few programmers on the forum though, so you may get some help there. Just be patient, not everyone logs on every day, particularly when things are going well for them.

As a long-term H&M user myself I can only say that support from EC-Software is normally outstanding. If you include your H&M registration information with your mail to them you should generally get at least an acknowledgement very quickly, although as a small company they do sometimes have work overloads themselves.

In the meantime, if you haven't seen it yet, you might want to look at the resources for Delphi users on the EC-Software site at

http://www.ec-software.com/tutorial.htm
http://www.ec-software.com/comppage.htm

Sorry I couldn't do more for you but I hope that this will help at least a little. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mike Culleton

Unread post by Mike Culleton »

Hi,

Tim, thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I was unable to resolve the problem - and resorted to spending heaps of time RTFM.

I think I found how to do it but have no idea why this technique worked at all.

The components installed but I could not see them on the pallet tab (EHS) in the pallet list nor the component list (VIEW,
COMPONENT LIST). I even had the manual open beside me all day as a reference in case (because I was so tired) I was just missing the obvious. But I was following the instructions to the letter - time and time again.

So I tried something that would normally make no sense to me - I was in COMPONENT, CONFIGURE PALLET then clicked (all) and then default. Voila - EHS tab appeared.

I don't know why it worked - nor why it did not work in the first place. The components were not to be found using VIEW, COMPONENT LIST so theoretically what I did 'should' not have made any difference - but happily it did.

Weird.

Now all is well again ...

TTFN

Mike

I would just never have guessed this in a million years. Is this normal for
Delphi or something unusual about the EC Software component suite?