HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.htm

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Frans Peeters

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.htm

Unread post by Frans Peeters »

I am working on a manual for a chess programme. When I compile to a chm I get the following error:

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.html.
The following files were not compiled:
index.html

I get a chm file but as a result the link on the House (the home button) is dead and gives a file not found error.
I checked the chm with FAR HTML and no mistakes were found. I thought maybe there was a link that wasn't ok or something like that.
Can anyone help me if I post a link to the help file here?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Frans,

This is actually a bug in the Microsoft HTML Help compiler. What is happening is that you have a reference to an external website somewhere and the compiler is trying to locate the file and embed it in the CHM, which is of course impossible. The most common place for this is in the links defined for your CHM help windows. In Help & Manual 4 go to Project > Project Properties > Help Windows and check in the HTML Help Options section. You will probably find a jump target defined there to index.html. If you wan to keep this target then just ignore the error message. If the link is redundant you can delete the target and the error message will go away. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Frans Peeters

Re: HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index

Unread post by Frans Peeters »

Tim, I did what you suggested (deleted the index.html) and the mistake was gone! I am very happy with that! Thanks for the advice and congratulations with the speed and the quality of the answers on this forum.

Regards,

Frans Peeters