Topic header not displaying in PDF

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bunnyslippers

Topic header not displaying in PDF

Unread post by bunnyslippers »

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was unable to find a thread on it. I have had this problem once before long ago and thought maybe I had asked for help here.

I have a project for which the topic headers have stopped showing up in the PDF output. I didn't make any changes to the style. I tried copying styles from another project that works properly, but they still don't show up. I know it has something to do with the default topic header style (Heading 1) being white, so that it is actually there on the PDF page - you just can't see it.

I've been trying to get this straight since yesterday and would really appreciate some help before I go crazy! :frustration:
Aitch

Re: Topic header not displaying in PDF

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi there!

I'm sorry if this might be the wrong information, but I'm basing this reply on HM5 as I don't have HM4 anymore.

Try navigating to the style setting (edit styles) and select the Heading 1 option. There 'should' be two tabs available: Screen View and Print Manual View.
Select the Print Manual View and deselect the "Same Options and Screen View" option. Change the font colour to what you need it to be (ie, black) and that should do it.

again - apologies if the options are different on HM4.

H
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
bunnyslippers

Thanks for your reply. In version 4, there is a box "View uses a different set of options" on the Print Manual View tab, so I selected it and then chose black for my font color under Font Settings, but my headings still aren't displaying. Also, I noticed that, even though I saved after making the change, when I go back to the settings, the font color is no longer black...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bunny,

The Print Manual View tab in your styles is the correct place to set alternate font settings for PDF for the body of your topics, but it will not change the color of your headings in PDF. That is because only the plain text of your headings is transferred from your project to PDF. All the formatting of the TOC and topic heading entries in the PDF is controlled by the settings in the MNL print manual template. So open the MNL in Print Manual Designer and check there if there is anything wrong with the colors set for the headings in the Topics section. If you continue to have problems, just mail me the project and the MNL file at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will check them for you.

Even so, if the setting is not being saved correctly it should be. It is possible that you have an older version of HM4 with an uncorrected problem in this area. I don't remember 100% if this was ever an issue there, but it definitely works OK in the final version of HM4, which you can still get from our normal downloads page here:

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html

The links for the HM4 and HM5 downloads are down at the bottom of the page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
bunnyslippers

Tim, I looked at the .mnl and it looks fine...I know I have not made any changes to it and it worked before. In fact, I took another existing project and started copying and pasting pieces from my problem project into it and assigned it the same .mnl file, and the topic headers come out correctly in the PDF.

I will send the files to you and really appreciate your looking at them.

Susan
bunnyslippers

Tim, I emailed you the files - thanks!

I have version 4.1.0 build 866. Is that the final version of HM4? I need to see about upgrading :D
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bunny,

Your HM4 is totally out of date. The final version is 4.5 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.